Can i use 2 antivirus programs at once?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SeaNJohN, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaNJohN

SeaNJohN Registered Member

Lets say nod32 and mcafee or something will it work?

2. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Not reccomend as it might cause conflicts. What you can do is use one as a real time scanner this means your main AV scanner that will working in the background protecting your PC and the other as an on-demand scanner meaning use it as your 2nd preference when it comes to doing a virus scan on your HDD. Also note an on-demand scanner will not protect your HDD in real time only an AV scanner with Real Time will do so.

Personally I would go something like NOD32 and Bitdefender Free edition or McAfee and BD Free edition, its entirely up to you.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I run Kaspersky 5.0 with extended database enabled and have numerous "on-demand" scanners including: Ewido, A-Squared, TrojanHunter, RootkitRevealer, Blacklight (all are Trojan or Rootkit Trojan oriented scanners). I also have Ad-Aware and SpyBot as spyware scanners. I only run Kaspersky real-time with UnHackMe. The rest are for scans. You want upfront protection, but I feel the need for also scanning to ensure nothing got past. You may want to visit the thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111264\
    to see what combination of programs people are using.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's not advisable to use two AV's at the same time to avoid conflicts and problems on your system stability, but if you still want to do that, try, at least, to disable the active scanner of one of them to see how they work, like Albinoni said...

5. shek

shek Registered Member

right now antivir 7 and NOD32(IMON only, all the other modules disabled) are running at the same time in my system(winxp pro sp2). so far so good. I also tried nod32(imon only) with mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0i to run together. no problems, at least in my machine. For the other combinations, i never tried. But i think it would cause conflicts.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

one is enough. I don,t think 2 will offer substantially extra coverage. I want to deal with suspicious files, online scanner or virus total is ok. Can 2 AV prevent all of viruses?-- no.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have NOD32 and had read about people that had Kas. on their systems along with NOD. So I researched it and downloaded a version that was supposed to work. I was going to use KAV only as an on demand scanner. I had it shut down and NOD running. My sys slowed to a crawl. I had to remove KAV. It worked for some people but not for me.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Don't know which version you used, but there are several members using KAV 4.5 with NOD32 and it works.
    If you however used KAV 5, it won't work.
    KAV 5 doesn't like other antivirus installed. :D ;)

IMO I find it dangerous to run more then one antivirus on your system.
    It may work for a certain time, but you never know what changed when there's an update.
    It could really mess up your system. :doubt:

9. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

NOD32 here has in it's license agreement (here), that you must first uninstall
    all AV's before installing NOD32.

There can be serious conflicts, that can make your system unsafe,hang, unstable,or even crash and loose data.
    Symantec Norton AV using together with NOD32 is the worst combination i know.
    And if you have NOD32, then you don't need NAV.

If you want to have two or more AV's make your system a multi-boot system!

10. shinjo2000

shinjo2000 Registered Member

yes!
    if you use NOD32 ,so you can add many others at a time
    for instance avast ,or Kaspersky
    or you can BD 9 + Kaspersky
    anyhow its too many!
    do a ghost,
    and try and try
    find a perfect 1+1.

dont be afraid, you computer is not TNT,and you are not Nobel.
    :):D

11. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Don't be afraid, but make a diskimage backup before you system crashes
    and you have to reinstall
    :D

12. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

On my test partition I've got KAV2006 beta 2 RC5 with just its proactive detection running (real time file monitoring and http scanning disabled) plus running NOD32 with everything running cranked up to Blackspears settings and it is running great.

KAV steps in for HIPS type protection, and is there for scheduled scans and on demand scans, and NOD32 is handling all the real-time stuff with its superior heuristics.

So far this seems to be quite a formidable combo.

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Wow - yeah; I must say that I would never try 2 AVs together without proper precautions in place. Such precautions would most likely be an image of at least the HD the OS and possibly the AVs were installed to. Then again, perhaps I am one to err on the side of caution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.