Can I sandbox Virtualbox ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheCatMan, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Hi is it possible ? I noticed a few people were concerned with using Virtualbox since it creates logs and time stamps on user folders often....

Was going to use Ubuntu/Whonix mainly for testing.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Maybe you can run virtualbox inside of virtualbox! :ninja: Not quite sure how that work work since not all programs can be installed inside of Sandboxie.

3. TheCatMan

Yeah very good point, I see quite a few people discussing the need to have whonix Live cd or ability to scrub os or windows logs of Virtual box setups.

But alas no real fixes in place other then using Tails live cd.

Others suggested to use a dedicated os like debian/linux and run whonix images off a usb stick so its separate and more secure, and encrypt the entire drive! I find it maybe the only substitute will see.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

VirtualBox, VMware etc won't run inside each other :(

The best solution that I know is using full disk encryption on the host machine. But that offers no protection while the host is running. You can also use full disk encryption on each VM, but I'm sure that traces will remain on the host.

5. TheCatMan

Yeah that was my same thoughts, running full disc encryption is great but if your using it it defeats the purpose.

I tried running unbuntu live cd and then installed virtualbox and whonix off an flash usb drive and it ran fine as long as you got plenty ram like 8 or 16gig, course if you restart or shut down its all gone and no such data recovery possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.