Can I install NOD32, if i already have a AV ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by United Nothing, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United Nothing

United Nothing Registered Member

I already have a Anti Virus installed on my PC. Can I install NOD 32 (trial version) to test out, and still have my current Anti Virus Installed ?

I hear so much praise for NOD 32, and after reading a number of posts mentioning NOD 32 picks up stuff Norton does not, has me eager to try NOD 32 more than ever.

2. I beleive you can.

Just make sure you don't run both AV's with on-access detection.

So since you will be trialing NOD32, you might as well disable your current AV and see what NOD32 can do for ya.

Just don't have both of them running simulaneously

3. zashita

zashita Registered Member

It is not recommended to have 2 AV installed at the same time in one machine.
    If you really don't want to uninstall your actual AV, you must disable its real time protection.
    But it is better to uninstall your actual AV, reboot your system and then install Nod32.
    This is not specific to Nod32, all AV works like this.

4. United Nothing

I took the above posters advice and disabled my current AV, then installed NOD32 and restarted my PC. I made sure the previous AV was disabled, and I did a Virus scan with NOD32 with todays Virus Defintions. I have a few questions and I would appreciate a little help because Im very new to NOD32.

1. The good News is I had zero threats. I set NOD32 to scan everything. But I did get alot of blue error messages, telling me the file is password protect and or in use by another application. These are mostly Ad-Aware Pro, Symantec, Jasc and a few Windows files.----> Is that Normal ?

2. I can not find out when my Subscription to NOD32 ends. Its probally somewhere to tell me, but I don't know where to look for it.

3. When I try to close the Virus scanner window I get a message saying "My profile has been modified, Do you wish to save the changes". What do I click (Yes or No) ?

4. What is the difference between "Indepth analysis" and "On Demand Scanner(Run NOD32)". I just did the Run NOD32 so far.

5. If I visit a website that has malicious script will NOD32 detect and remove/block it when I use Internet Explorer ?(Im a Fire Fox user BTW)

----> Thats my questions. Sorry if this is off the topic title, but I didn't want to clutter the Topic list with 5 different topics (some admin hate that).

Thank You.

5. To answer some of your questions:

1) Yes it is perfectly normal. There is a link somewhere that explains it but I am too lazy to find it right now. It's nothing to worry about though.

2) I cannot get into my NOD32 right now because of a problem i'm having, so I am giving you instructions off the top of my head from what I remember... Load up the main NOD32 screen by clicking on the system tray icon and then from the screen select the last item... I think its called NOD32 something.... after you click it you can select "Information" and the screen on the right will tell you how many trial days you have left.

3) You can choose either yes or no. All it is saying is that you changed the scanning options and it wants to know if you want to save these changes so that next time you scan you wont have to change them to the way you want all over again.

4) Never tried it so I dunno... I'm sure the help file will cover you there.

5) Yes. Just make sure you have IMON enabled and scanning http.

Hope that helps :)

6. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Registered Member

RE: Question 4.

From the help file:

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi United Nothing, welcome to Wilders.

There is a tutorial on tweaking Nod32 here.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. United Nothing

Thank You everybody for taking the time to answer my questions. Im enjoying NOD32, and like how strong it is. Im going to switch over to NOD32 when my wife's AV expires and get a 2 license family pack subscription. I been here at Wilders for over a year and a half (mostly reading the General Topics and the spyware topics and learning about High Jack This) I had to register and ask about NOD32.

Thank You Blackspear for showing me the guide I learned a few new things.

Keep Up the great website Wilders Team.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

A couple of the great things about NOD32 are the level of detail you can tweak it to and the level of detail it can report to you. All AV's have files they cannot scan. With perhaps the rare exception, the files NOD32 cannot scan are the same ones other AV's cannot scan. The difference is that before, you never knew that there were unscanned files...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.