Can I have Comodo Firewall Pro and Windows Firewall on?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cheater87, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Re: Can I have Comodo Firewall Pro and indows Firewall on?

No, he asked if he can have both Comodo and Windows Firewall on at the same time. And I answered "Yes" from the first post.

This is a big problem for me. If you think you are protected when the firewall is off, I can't argue with you :D. RunAsService stopped when I logged off (i'm not sure it should act like that, but that's how it happened).

2. fax

fax Registered Member

That is exactly what is NOT happening for the majority of 'ordinary' users out there. They do install a 3rd party software but they also commonly turn ON the OS firewall. With the assumption, if one fails I have another one... 'eheh' :cool:

End result: likely conflicts, loose of connection, etc...

The funny thing is that, at the very end, they all are more or less surprised and annoyed: "there is written nowhere that I cannot use 2 firewalls!!" :doubt:

Cheers,
    Fax

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It is a rule of thumb because I doubt anyone would waste their time installing 2 3rd party firewalls to check for conflicts.
    From the many posts we see where conflicts happen simply because the un-install of another firewall was not complete (left over driver etc) should be enough evidence of the possible problems.
    I do make many checks of various firewalls with the various HIPS / AVs / ATs etc, but certainly would not waste time checking compatibility between 2 3rd party firewalls installed.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No you shouldn't.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Seer Nick!

I kind of like that "Sir" Nick almost!:thumb: :cool:

No doomsday hasn't arrived as yet! I did have to restore from my image backup a month ago! So without that security it would have been "lites out"!

I have only 1, 2 way SW FW, OA 2.

The other "2" are HW FW's as follows:

1) The router for my Lan is DSL/Router
    2) The "extra" h/w f/w is an 2 way (I/O) alpha shield which covers a gaming PC on my mini lan. It has no S/W FW in use! This guy covers me off stealth wise when I occasionally disable OA for testing reasons.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Nebulus.

While this is a problem for you it doesn't have any effect on me. I am on a small home LAN behind a NAT. There is nothing to protect from.

Actually yes, I think I am. Better yet, I know I am.
    But if you are on an untrusted LAN, I can understand your need for boot protection.

Hello C.

I see you have found the compromise with OA firewall. I also see you are pretty much content now with your setup since you're posting it so proudly :D
    Now what, no more "learning threads"? I'll miss them.

Got it. A NAT router and an Alpha shield for another PC. It makes sense now, I thought for a moment you were "piling up" too :D

Cheers m8s,

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi:

I will be returning to the learning threads using OA latest release as a base. There are some new wrinkles that are worth (I hope) pursuing. I'm going to unsubscribe on this thread now as my thread quota is reached.:cool:

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

That explains it :). In that configuration, the need for inbound protection on your computer is (almost) inexistent.

You understood my situation perfectly. I have some people on my LAN who find extreme joy in trying all kinds of attacks on somebody else's computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.