Can I get a virus from reading a CD/DVD RW?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by The Count, Jul 25, 2019.

1. The Count

The Count Registered Member

I need to read some files from a CD/DVD RW disk that someone gave me, can you get virus from doing that if I don't install anything on my hd? What about during the transition from from disk drive when I need to attach it to an email?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You should disable autorun and autoplay options for your CD/DVD drive so that no autorun actions are performed after inserting device. Just from reading and copying files you shouldn't get infected. But you can still get infection if you run something from device manually or if you open an infected file.

3. The Count

The Count Registered Member

If all I did was insert it into the CD/DVD drive but never opened any of its contents, is that comprising in any way? I didn't disable autorun auto play whilst it was sitting inside my drive as I was awaiting reply on forum.

When I placed the CD DVD in the drive windows explorer popped up showing contents and one of those was an autorun but I never clicked it, how is that different to the other autorun you mentioned?
    I think I did click a main yellow folder but only once and never peaked to see further whole list of the contents.

Can I disable autorun autoplay for the CD DVD but not for the USB? selected devices only? Windows 8

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@The Count
    download and install sbie or sd trial and run the dvd sandboxed or in shadow mode, read what you need to read. if you need to keep any files, scan it via vt or jotti and recover (sbie) or commit (sd) the file(s). delete the sandbox or exit shadow mode.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.