Can I do this with TI Workstation?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PhilS, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilS

PhilS Registered Member

I have an old notebook that appears to have a failing hard drive. On one hand, it's old; on the other hand, it still has a floppy drive and serial and parallel port - options that are hard to come by these days.

I'd like to change the notebook's hard drive but it doesn't have a cd or dvd burner. It does have a dvd rom drive that reads media. So my question is how would I create bootable rescue media if this computer doesn't write to cd's or dvd's?

I think there may be a floppy disk option but needing 8 disks doesn't sound too attractive to me for this purpose. Also, it only has USB 1.1 so an external device would probably be painfully slow on the 12 GB it has to process.

Can I create bootable rescue media on a different pc to use on this one? Or, can I use a shared cd writer on another computer to create the bootable media or does the writer have to be locally connected?

What about creating rescue media on a USB stick? Can I then copy the contents onto a bootable cd? I'm pretty sure the laptop won't boot from USB

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  2. PhilS

PhilS Registered Member

Anyone?

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

How about mounting the harddisk in another machine for imaging or creating a disk on a another machine or a usb boot or You could use one of the free cloning utilites to just copy the drive to another disk - drive manfacturers .

A usb disk would be slow but ok for 12gb - I have done 22 GB on usb 1.1 about 5 hours

4. PhilS

PhilS Registered Member

Thx for the reply.

I think I might be better off with the floppy alternative cause I suppose this would take 2 1/2 hrs. But if I take the time to setup the 8 floppies it needs, the rest should go much more quickly.

The ideal would be to be able to create a rescue disk on a different machine and then boot up from it on the laptop. The only question is whether it's possible.

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Does the laptop have a nic then you can do it over the network...

Yes you can create the resque cd in another pc and then use an the laptop.

if there is no network buy a PCMCIA USB2 card and a USB2 80GB or so external Driver. Boot from the resque cd and go!!

;-)

ENJOY!@!

6. PhilS

PhilS Registered Member

The image itself is no problem.

It's creating a boot-up rescue disk that seems to be the issue. If it can be created on another pc then I should be good to go.

Thx

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PhilS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that in this case you can use Acronis True Image to create an ISO image of the Acronis True Image Bootable disk, then transfer this image to another computer that has CD/DVD recorder and use any CD/DVD writing software to burn this image to CD or DVD disc. You can find the instructions on how to create the ISO image in Chapter 10. "Creating bootable media" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide and how to burn the ISO file to CD in this web page.

Yes, you the Acronis True Image Botable Media can be created on the USB device. However, please note that the USB device should be recognized as a removable media and not as a hard drive and formatted into FAT. Please have a look at this thread for detials. And in order to boot cream the USB drive your computer should have this ability.

Also would like to say that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on. So if it is suitable for you you could temporary install Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation on another computer and create Acronis True Image Bootable CD there.

We recommend you to create the Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD using the latest build (3718 ) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, because each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc. To get access to updates you should first register your software. We also recommend you to have at least one reserve copy of Bootable Rescue CD, just in case the original disc will be lost or damaged for some reason.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.