Can I disable AH in this case ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kevin009, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin009

kevin009 Registered Member

NOD32 V3 has the AH option for Newly created and Modified files, and in the Realtime protection settings, AH is disabled.

I already know that if AH is disabled in NOD32's realtime protection, it will cause system slowdown.

But in this case, I am asking if AH is enabled in Realtime protection, then is it OK to disable AH for newly created and modified files ?

I feel that if AH is enabled for both Newly created /modified files and also for Realtime protection, it could slow down the system with double effect ? is this right ?

P.S : I prefer an answer from a Moderator

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A file would not be scanned twice in that case. With the "Optimize scanning" option enabled, files are scanned only once unless they have been altered or some other events occurred.

3. kevin009

Thanks, but this question was missed out :

Answer ?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As I said, it won't make any difference - the file would be scanned by AH and only once.

5. kevin009

1. That I already know. But the reason why I want to use AH in Realtime protection, is because malware also attacks my system via USB's. Double clicking files on the HDD or USB does not count as Newly created/modified. so files which are "read" from USB's are not scanned with AH, and this is a security risk. So I prefer to use AH in realtime protection settings, with AH disabled in "Newly created/modified files" At the expense of some more system resources.

But am I doing the right thing ? Y/N

2. Additionally, I would like to suggest to Eset that AH be used in all removable media (CD, DVD, Floppy, USB flash drives) even if the data on these removable media is not Newly created/modified.

Is this a good idea ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.