Can anyone help me with a router problem (Dlink DIR-615)?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zopzop, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

My router the Dlink DIR-615 keeps disconnecting from the internet. Sometimes it's fine other times, I get no connectiona and I have to unplug it then replug it in. I don't understand why it would do this and yes I've tried upgrading the firmware :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

Any possibility to restore factory settings?

Gerard

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@gerardwil

yup there is an option in the router menu itself that says "restore to facotry default" but i've tried that and nothing. i've tried restoring to default, i've tried upgrading the firmware (which not only doesn't solve the disconnect problem but actually makes the wireless unstable), i've tried searching the internet for people with similar problems with this device but so far nothing seems to work.

@innerpeace

thanks for that, i've seen that before but wasn't sure how assigning dhcp reservations to my machines would work. i just now gave in and tried it. let's see how everything goes. i doubt it will work though :(

5. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Have you tried to change your channel?
    Maybe something is interfering with your router. :doubt:
    See Wireless Settings to change it and try it out what works best for you.

6. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Is there any other routers sprung up in the area detecting on your wireless console? What can happen is other routers nearby can use the same channel as your router and can interfere with connecting to your router. There can also be trying to connect to your router. Try changing the router channel in the router config. Also can try turning off DHCP and set the pc to connect to a set manual IP and set the MAC address of your network card to be the only one that can connect to your router. Also try installing the original network driver as Windows update can update and newer network drivers can play havoc with stability. Then again the wireless network card might be getting too hot or going faulty.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Some more ideas thrown your way ;) Did you see D-Link troubleshooting? There was mention of changing the pre-amble to short in both your card and router, or possibly locking down the speed on your ethernet card.

8. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@markymoo and Eldar

it's not just my wireless that loses internet connection it's my desktop that's not connected wirelessly too. it's the oddest thing. some days it will be fine, then other days i have to unplug and replug in the router multiple times to get my internet connection back.

@wat0114

i'll try this when i get home. but i don't think it will work, it's definitely the router causing this because my old belkin router had no such problems EVER. and the only thing i changed in my setup was the purchase of this "new" router because my old belkin router didn't have WPA/WPA2 security option.

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

That almost seems like your ISP is dropping. Is the MODEM healthy? Do the router logs show anything?

10. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@AKAJohnDoe

but why would it happen now that i got my new router? this never happened with my old belkin router. in fact i never had a problem with my belkin router and it's like 5 years old. the only reason i even purchased this new router is because my belkin was so old it only supported 128bit WEP encryption (which as we all know can be cracked in 2 minutes or less).

11. markymoo

If what's changed then it the settings of the new router that not compatible fully with ISP or it a coincidence your ISP is acting badly. If you not using wireless WPA2 then that feature difference is not the cause of it dropping. The new router might have a different MTU, try 1500,1450 or 1400.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

When you do lose the connection, are you able to ping your router's LAN-side, probably 192.168.0.1? Does your router lose its ip address on the WAN-side, as assigned by your ISP? What about DNS server ip addresses in your router's WAN-side configuration. Are they listed? There might be two of them, a primary and secondary. Sorry, I'm just throwing forward ideas as they come to me.

13. markymoo

The new router can have a built in firewall and block innocent packets acting as if you getting hacked and block you. Try turning it off also turn off your s/w firewall too.

14. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

That's like opening a door to your house. :eek:

That router does have a firewall, but only to block incoming traffic, not outgoing.

What happens is that when you setup your router for the first time, your software firewall may block the connection, so it's better to turn off this firewall/suite, not the one from the router. :)

FYI I do have a D-Link DIR-655, which works great. Not once did I lose my internet connection.

I'm not too techie on that networking stuff, but it could be possible the wireless adapter is failing, not the router.

Just a wild guess. ;)

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@ronjor

it's not just the wireless that doesn't function, no internet connectivity is possible when my router acts up either wirelessly or on my pc connected directly to the router. i have to unplug and replug in the router for me to be able to go online at all.

@wat0114
    nope. i opened up the command prompt and typed ping 192.168.0.1 and it says packets lost all of them 100%.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try another cable. Sounds like a bad connection between your computer and the router.

18. markymoo

No it isn't. Just because you got no firewall on doesn't mean you going to get hacked. It means you show up on a ip scan and then they still got to find you. A hacker still got to get in and find a vulnerability in your operating system depending on what ports are open. If you have no or easy password on your Windows then it would be easy. Did you ever change your password from default on your router as that is a way hackers can modify your router settings to there own end. He's only doing it to test to eliminate. Firewalls detecting something is up block the port whether it software or hardware. I'm just throwing up possibles as i had experience of different makes of routers but not that specific router. Too much security on routers or firewalls can throw you off so just turning it off for awhile is just to see. If somebody is heavily scanning ip ranges you router can put some heavy security on. It like when you set wireless encryption. You don't set it up with the encryption on first you connect with no encryption just to get it going. It been working fine and it not working so something up we just trying stuff mate. The router tends to go faulty before the wire.

19. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@markymoo

i don't think i'm confortable switching off the router's firewall, call me paranoid :)

@ronjor

do you mean the ethernet cable or the power plug? because when i say i have to unplug my router i mean i have to unplug its power cord then plug it back in the outlet.

for now i tried to do what another unfortunate dlink dir-615 owner did in the link in the post by innerpeace. i'll let you know how it goes.

20. markymoo

Yes software, especially if you set it on Automatic configuration or accidentally choose wrongly on manual connections. There is a difference between blocking the connection and disconnecting from the IP. I was recommending get back to basics so it's easier to eliminate the problem.

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This may seem obvious but is necessary to ask to rule out other possible issues: when you upgraded the firmware, did you do so over a hard-wired connection, because over a wireless connection will likely lead to disaster.

After losing connection, what do you get from the cmd line with a "ipconfig /all" ? In particular what does it show for ip address, default gateway? Do you see "Media state" as disconnected?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  22. markymoo

You won't turn off your firewall ok but how many change the default password on there router? I bet not many.

23. markymoo

that usually not make it work at all and kills it.

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Still, I'd like to rule out the possibility.

25. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@wat0114

1) yup, when i upgraded my firmware i did it through my desktop pc, the one wired to my router.

2) no. i never tried the ipconfig /all command. next time i get the disconnect i'll try it.

@markymoo

i did change the factory password on my router (there wasn't even one by default). it's now some random phrase 20+ characters long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.