Can anyone get to avast forum today?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by act8192, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. Willpower

Willpower Registered Member

Yes, it is odd that there hasn't been a 'redirect' to Blog news as mentioned or info page at least.
    No mention on length of time that I can find.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

This is going to be interesting, a pretty thorough challenge from simple machines...I wonder if Avast will come across with bona fide information publicly so those that are well versed in this subject can also draw conclusions as to who is at fault?

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Now that's a game-changer right there. Somebody is under the bus and doesn't particularly care for the view. Who can blame them?

I commented earlier that saying avast will suffer reputation damage as a result of this hacking is not necessarily the same thing as saying that avast deserves it, but that personal view of mine is changing, after reading the response from Simple Machines' project manager and director.

Whenever a disagreement of this nature arises, it is always most revealing to observe which side speaks in generalities and which side speaks in specifics.

At this stage, it's clear to me that avast is the former and Simple Machines the latter.
    Not so sure both sides are throwing mud. More like one throws mud and the other defends.

5. clubhouse1

1b- We know that the Avast installation was not a default installation and that some personal modifications had been made to their installation

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Pity that as a member run organization Simple Machines in all probability doesn't have enough cash on hand to file suit against Avast. Pity also there is no Pro Bono representation in Corporate Libel actions.

7. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

They have finally added some info at forum.avast.com.

Pretty much the same message as the emails and blog.

8. Willpower

Willpower Registered Member

What started as a 'hacked support forum' has catapulted to something much different.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Looks like Avast is pretty hurt by this, and wants a fall guy, and they want SMF to be that fall guy. A pity as it looks like SMF is clean, and they've provided detailed specifics as to this fact, and in fact - the lack of response from Avast is quite alarming. SMF is an awesome forum tool, with a huge following. If Avast starts slinging dirt, especially undeserved dirt, they are in for a pretty big surprise from SMF community I would bet, and that's far more damaging than any legal action would be.

10. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

You (we) don't know, for certain, what actually happened.

11. clubhouse1

One things clear, given the two conflicting statements re contact between Avast and SMF, someone is lying.

12. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Attached Files:

• smf.png
      smf.png
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
  13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depending on Avast's response and the effect of this on their products (in security tests or whatever), I may have to reconsider using avast! Free Antivirus.

14. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

There are too many overly judgmental comments made here without knowing all the facts.

15. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

I don't really care who's at fault. I'm just glad I never joined the Avast forums. And now I probably never will.

16. clubhouse1

I

I just thought the conflicting statements between Avast and SMF regarding contact on the breach was interesting....I'd like to see a fuller response from Avast.

17. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

You and me both.

I would like to see the forum back up and running soon. It has been down since Saturday and, unless they have found help on another forum, there are plenty of folks in the Virus and Worm section that have been sitting in limbo since this time. Nothing worse than having an infected computer with no help available and not knowing what to do.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Unlike you, I did join. At one time I used avast and their support forum became a place I had to visit to get help.
    I haven't used avast for years, but now I have to go back to their forum to clean up after someone else's mess. I don't need a bunch of details to know that avast is at fault.
    They aren't owning it, plain and simple, which says more about them than it does about the forum software.
    Good point... we tend to overlook the folks who are caught in the middle of this crap.

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

20. niki

niki Registered Member

It happens that I have Avast and used their forum. It so happens that I have all different usernames on the forums I use but on some forums use the same password as on Avast forum. Most of those forums I haven't been on them for a very long time, some of them for years.

So does it mean that I have to change all the passwords on those *some* forums other than Avast?

Thanks!

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Per Vince Steckler, CEO AVAST Software, in the avast blog, "If you use the same password and user names to log into any other sites, please change those passwords immediately."
    You probably know that, but since you don't utilize the same username in other forums, but do use the same password in other forums, you are wondering what to do.
    In my opinion, you would probably be okay, but if it was me, I'd change passwords in the other forums just to clean up their mess for them.
    It's an even bigger PITA given that you haven't visited those forums in a long time... but I'd still make the changes.

22. niki

niki Registered Member

Page42: Thank you so much for your explanation. I will certainly follow up your advice.:) Luckily I still have the usernames and their websites written down, some are about 10 years old.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have belonged to the Avast forums for years, and do not regret it.
    I have confidence they will get it under control. At this time I am not using Avast, but would not hesitate to go to it if I deemed it advantageous. Avast ha always been my fall back AV.
    Jerry

24. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Since this thread is about a very specific issue with the avast! forum, I have split a few posts regarding test results and avast!'s overall status, to another existing thread that seems better suited for that discussion:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/posts/2375744/

Let's hold this thread for the resolution of the forum situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.