Can Acronis V8 used with different model of servers?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zdzzd, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zdzzd

zdzzd Registered Member

Hi,

Can Acronis server v8 be used in different server types, like from one server of RAID 5 to another one with RAID1? do these two servers require to use the same type of RAID controller card?

Thanks.

2. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Provided TI has the drivers for the RAID controller (which, let's face it, is LSI or Adaptec), you should be able to use it regardless of RAID level. However, you will run into issues restoring an image taken on a different RAID level. Restoring an image taken on a RAID5 won't work easily on a RAID1 server. Is this what you meant?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello napoleon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Enterprise Disk Backup Software.

Please let us know what the problem you have when you restore an image on a different RAID level. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Strychnine

Strychnine Registered Member

I have tested this same thing several times. Using True Image Server 8.0 (826) to backup both of our servers to external hard drives. One of the servers is RAID5 (SCSI) and the other is a rackmount unit on RAID1 (SCSI). Have taken several images at different times, and all images verified fine. Have tried restoring them on two of my personal PC's, one with a 60GB ATA drive and the other with RAID0 (SATA). Upon rebooting after the restore, Server 2003 gets to drvmain.sdb, pops up a bluescreen error, and restarts immediately (I never get a chance to read any of the error message). I have restored images before on both of the PC's used for testing, and have even done so during this process (since my personal RAID0 was wiped out to test it). Restoring my personal image worked fine.

I can mount and browse my image files on any PC I have tried, so I am convinced that the images are fine. One bad image I could believe, but I have tested this with 3 different images from each of the servers.

I have not had the opportunity to test the images on the actual servers they were taken from since I have not been able to spare the downtime to risk, having to rebuild one from scratch. I will be testing it on one of them Monday.

Aside from this issue, True Image has served me faithfully for some time. However, I have never had to actually test it on those servers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.