Can A Laptop Hard Drive Clone Be Done?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ginky4, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginky4

ginky4 Registered Member

Is it possible to clone an EIDE laptop hard drive through usb? I have the new larger laptop hard drive hooked by adapter cables to my usb port. Acronis won't recognize the hard drive connected by usb. It doesn't show up in My Computer or in Disk Management either. Is there anyway to do this?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I don't think Windows will recognize the new drive unless it is formatted. But the way I would approach the Clone process is what is known as a Reverse Clone.

Put the original drive in the external enclosure and the new one in the laptop. Then with the bootable True Image Rescue cd, boot up and use the Clone feature. See if this works.

3. ginky4

ginky4 Registered Member

I decided to just do a clean format and reload. I would be interested to know if anybody has tried the reverse clone.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

5. bogdanb

bogdanb Registered Member

This will work when the external drive is connected by FireWire. Last week I cloned a laptop drive in this way. I used a Sweex pcmcia firewire card in the laptop and an external enclosure with an Oxford firewire chipset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.