CamStudio silently installs BundleOfferManger

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Camstudio installs a file called BunndleOfferManger even after declining all open candy offers. I updated Camstudio about a month ago, and NOD 32 alerted me to the file today. After cleaning the object Camstudio still appears to work. Camstudio already has a ridiculous amount of Open Candy offers in their installer, and now this. According to NOD 32 the file attempted to run. I was not even using Camstudio when this happened so that is alarming to me. I did not agree to any bundle offers so Camstudio should not be installing any such file on my machines. I would like to hear a response from the developers of Camstudio so I will make them aware of this thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Cutting_Edgetech

Camstudio has no contact email on their website, and you can only register for their forum by invitation code only. :thumbd: Maybe I will get lucky, and someone that has access to their forum will report this thread to them.

3. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Developer

This just amazes me, thank you for pointing this out!!! I am tired of computers being turned into ad delivery and tracking devices.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What about trying here?

-http://download-camstudio.com/contact.html

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Scratch that one above, perhaps a better contact might be at the at the bottom of this page

-http://camstudio.org/privacy.htm

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Stapp! I will try that now.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I just sent them a message explaining my concern. I sent them the link to this thread so they would have the opportunity to address this.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I just realized why NOD 32 may not have detected this until now. I just enabled detect Potentially Unsafe Applications last night.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

10. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

11. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from Camstudio, but I downloaded it a month ago so I can't be sure.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I usually keep a backup of all the software I download on an external drive so I have an installer from October that i'm pretty sure I downloaded from their site. I just scanned it with NOD 32, and it found 2 potentially unsafe applications in the installer so it quarantined it. I usually install applications with open candy in Shadow Mode first to make sure they do not install any bloatware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.