Bypass WGA?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Decapad, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hi - My new Sony PC didn't have an XP recovery disk in the box. When I reinstalled XP recently- I borrowed a friends disk thinking no biggie. Turns out his was a crack copy & now I'm having trouble getting updates from Microsoft cause it's not passing Windows Genuine Advantage. This is so stupid to begin with because every computer comes with XP anyway. Anyhow - is there a way around it? (PS - I don't use SP2) Many thanks, Deca

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can still get updates from other sites and sources, but u wont get any help bypassing WGA.

I also suggest you look at teh Genuine Microsoft software FAQ

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you are meaning WGA validation....Wilders will not help people bypass the WGA Validation Check to download patches outside of the Microsoft license agreements as WSFuser alluded to.

I would suggest contacting Sony PC in regards to sending you a copy for your XP installation.

Bubba

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Even if not a "cracked" copy, it wouldn't have passed muster, can't install the same XP on more than one system.

Regards - Charles

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

IMHO Sony PC/Laptops normal come with a recovery partition wich can be accessed by your Control panel. This allows you to reinstall a valid OS ;)

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Your system should also have the license sticker on the side of the case (or bottom of the laptop). Regardless of the disk used to install, you should use that license key, which would keep your install legal.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

The problem I have is that the key on my Dell laptop only works with the Dell oem version of win XP - might get a similar problem with this machine.
    The key that MS gets is a hash of your installation key and a xp version key (eg home, pro, various oems, generic oem, vlk versions etc), and if you use the wrong disc then even though you have a legit licence and key, you fail wga.

I phone microsoft and they tell me that I have to go to Dell as its a special oem version (but Dell wont support me as a 2nd hand user).
    I had to resort to bypassing WGA using a cooperate version of XP (which we use at work).

Decapad, when I get home I will provide you with information that will help.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Usually, a "Generic OEM" installation should work with a "vendor-specific OEM" installation key. I remember a long time ago that it was indeed possible to modify the Windows XP installation files to convert the Windows XP installation to the package of your choice (OEM installation, Upgrade installtion, VLK installation etc). I would not call this modification illegal because you have acquired a wrong disk and you want to use your legal CD-key to activate Windows. I'll see if I can dig that information up.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

True, if you have an OEM key then you do need to have an XP OEM install disk to use the same key, but if you can get such a disk then you can use the same key.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I tried this a while ago - I had an oem version installed with a recovery disk so I tried to use my retail disk with oem key and these changes to complete a repair install never managed to get it to work always rejected the key.

Acer and Microsoft said talk to the other. In the end I just used the recovery disk.

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

if you need updates,then goto autopatcher's website and download the update.
    i think your problem will be solved.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thanks Firecat !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.