Bypass Acronis OS Selector?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Rick_G, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I have a computer which will not boot. I get the DOS screen which shows "Starting Acronis Loader..." and the next line shows "Press ESC for menu..." The computer simply hangs there. :mad:

I need to bypass the darn thing and I can't at bootup. Is there a key combo that can bypass the OS Selector?

I tried following the instructions in this post, but they did not help. I don't have a floppy drive, so I could not use the Acronis MBR autowrite_en.exe program.

I have loaded the Windows XP Recovery Console about 10 times over the last few days, and successfully used Fixmbr to wipe out Acronis OS Selector. I have also used Bootmgr /Rebuild to recreate the BOOT.INI file, but it did not solve the problem this time.

I have noticed that I can NOT boot the PC using the CD that I created with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10. It simply says "Starting Acronis Loader..." and then hangs. I had hoped to use the CD to uninstall Acronis OS Selector.

I just used Acronis True Image 9 to restore my C: drive from an image I created two days ago. That did not make any difference either.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

I'm sorry, but it is not clear from your explanation what the problem is. Could you please clarify whether you can boot Windows after using the Fixmbr command?

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

Sorry for the slow response. After I got the computer working, I had problems with my DSL line.

In response to your question, I was NOT able to boot the computer successfully. :(

I kept trying the same series of steps using the Windows XP Recovery Console:
    1. Run Fixmbr C:
    2. Run Bootmgr /Rebuild to recreate the BOOT.INI file
    3. EXIT and hope for success

For some reason, this did NOT remove the Acronis OS Selector. I knew that FIXMBR did NOT work, because it did not give me any warning message about changing the boot sector.

At one point, the computer got into a loop. It loaded the Acronis OS Selector, and showed the two line message "Starting Acronis Loader..." and "Press ESC for menu...". It would re-boot after a few seconds and do the same thing again.

I kept trying the same steps using the Windows Recovery Console. Eventually I WAS able to boot from another hard drive with a "flaky" Windows install. Then I rebooted into the Windows Recovery Console, and repeated the steps above.

When I ran FIXMBR, I got the expected warning message. It was something like "You have a non-standard boot sector - do you really want to rewrite the MBR?" (It was very long, about 5 lines of text). This is what I expected to see - this means that FIXMBR had found the Acronis OS Selector.

When I exited the Recovery Console, I was finally able to boot into my regular WinDoze installation. The system ran a CHKDSK on the C: drive when booting up, and fixed a few problems.

Once I got everything working, I updated my Acronis True Image file. :)

4. Acronis Support

Hello Rick,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. w2jo

w2jo Guest

It did not sound like the customer's problem was solved at all. Basically, his problem was that he could not get DD ver 10 to work properly.

6. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

W2JO, you are correct. As described in this post, I have stopped using DD version 10. It is too buggy, and has cost me too much time. :mad:

7. Acronis Support

Hello Rick_G,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team? I will take care of it.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I did not send anything to Acronis support. I had to resolve my problem ASAP!

I simply uninstalled DD version 10, and went back to version 9.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Rick_G,

Please note that the problem you reported is not typical and so we need the infromation that I have requested in this thread in order to investigate it.

We will do our best in order to investigate this issue and fix it in case it is related to Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.