Bye bye BING

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

This has got to be a first. Elop, a serious contender to replace Ballmer as CEO at Microsoft, has discussed his strategy for MS in advance of getting the nod.

The most startling of his announcements is that he would nuke BING. BING is not popular and has cost billions to produce and maintain. It seems like a no-brainer to let it go, however it will be seen as yet another MS failure. Risky risky risky, but maybe a brilliant move on Elop's part.

I will cry no tears if BING goes.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/11/elop_axe_swinging_ceo/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In all the reads into the candidates and their potential, (nokia ceo likely) and PR, i don't read anywhere on plans to return and regain trust in their duped desktop/business customer's again.

MS regaining some standing with that PC element will be most closely watched i think.

Apple will gladly assume market leadership over a competitor that isn't capable enough to pull they're head out of their ~snip~

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I disagree. Apple is very happy selling less laptop/desktop than PCs with Windows.

Where PCs are sold by MS & the usual suspects making on average $0 per PC. The money is in the trial ware (bloat) that is installed. If PCs make $30 per that is doing well.

Now Apple they make $200-$700 per laptop/desktop.

Where would you go in the laptop/desktop market if you were Apple?
    No where thats where.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Just when I was starting to like Bing! o_O

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Great idea, Google should be the only search engine in the world! :rolleyes:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/information-...hire-any-ceo-who-wants-to-kill-bing-and-xbox/

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would be willing to believe that this is bad news for Google's search engine division. If Bing left the marketplace, Google search could be perceived as a monopoly. A breakup of Google search would benefit MS in a round about way. MS would be losing a debt while Google would be losing a profit.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

With the current candidates on the short list, have any of them suggested any plans to regain the trust of desktop pc customers yet? Having held such an overwhelming advantage for so long in that particular market branch of desktop PC's, it seems it would be an important step for them to readdress for the better what Balmer's windows 8 took away from business/personal PC customers

It was a bad strategy to force Metro UI and MS Store onto that segment of their business structure, given the long held secure advantage that they established and prevailed with for so long.

USA national & regional banks and big businesses alike don't need for that sort of distortion in their normal workflow and why windows 7 is maintained with no interest or benefit for them to upgrade to 8, despite the fact windows 8 is inherently more stable and secure.

Any opinions? As an observer only of what's resulted, wasn't that strategy short sighted? and do you think the next CEO will do something more acceptable for that customer base?

EASTER

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think MS response to business will rollout to businesses & their ilk very shortly. Certainly by sometime in 2014 I would think.

That response will in the form of Windows 9 or whatever name is next. I have to believe Windows 9 will have a business edition where the Metro UI is an option (maybe even hidden at that). And the default DE is the normal Windows UI complete with Start button.

Until different facts surface (pun intended) that's my bet.

What does everybody else think?

10. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

You may be right. MS probably developed and released Win 8 knowing that there wouldn't be widespread adoption of it in Business. They're using this opportunity (Win 8 ) to try and aggressively push the consumers onto their services, and perhaps will worry about catering to business next time around.
    Do you remember when it first went online? I'm thinking that they had this big countdown party celebration trying to make a huge event out of it. :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And as it stands Microsoft creates for themselves a Great Divide. Why on earth they would make more problems for their business then was necessary is anyone's guess.

They could easily had rolled out BOTH the mobile tablet/phone versions more suited for those device use while also rolling out a personal/business system O/S better suited for desktops/laptops convention and avoided this huge backlash and discouragements from those long time customers who gave MS a solid foundation they relied on in the first place.

Had they took the easily more sensible path for that matter it wouldn't been such a point of contention as it's turned out.

As for Bing, what a waste in my opinion. Not their creating and improving it in the first place, but throwing so much funding in it's direction with limited at best returns for that heavy a project investment. Money better applied to other segments of their Research & Developments.

Windows 8 is by far more stable, faster, and secure then in any previous release, but all that improvement is been grossly overshadowed and stalled thanks to forcing Metro UI + Store as the monkey wrench in an otherwise well oiled machinery.

12. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Except MS is trying to push their customers onto their services using Windows as the leverage. They don't want them using a traditional desktop. The risk of alienating some in the process is apparently worth it to them.

Their priorities have shifted away from the pc space, and they're going to try and grab and carry over as many Windows users as they can while making the transition. That is why creating an account, the Metro UI, and the Windows store is shoved in your face with the start menu removed as soon as you first boot up Windows in your new computer.

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It doesn't matter how good or bad Bing is, all that matters is it's powered by a company willing to push billions into making it a serious competitor to Google, and some of the changes Google has taken goes to show that they do consider it a threat.

Now remove that entirely and imagine what Google would be free to do without that competition.

OP is very short-sighted.

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I will.... it gives me free $5 amazon gift card every month.

15. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

If Elop gets the job he will kill Bing & Xbox and the year after will re-release them with other names.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That's funnier than ****. Don't know if it could be true. Just gave me a laugh. TY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.