Buying Windows XP possible?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

That is correct.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

JohnnyDollar (Great OTR show!), Did you really mean to say "that is correct" as to all OEM discs being sys builder discs? Because the OEM discs that come with a brand name PC (HP, Dell, etc.) are not system builder OEM and they specifically state they are tied to the motherboard.

However, I have called Microsoft probably a dozen times since XP has been released and asked if I could use a disc on a different PC and have been given a new key every time but once; and then I hung up, called right back and a different person gave me one with no problem. They are actually surprisingly lenient on this (to say the least).

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Yeah I use to drive OTR, that is exactly where I got that from. You guessed it right. No I didn't mean OEMs that come with a purchased pc. I meant an OEM copy that you buy by itself.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 OEM Version
    Software Terms of Use
    Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software requires the builder to provide end user support for the Windows software. Once this software is installed and activated it cannot be transferred to another computer.

http://www.compusa.com/applications...COMPGOOSOFT&cm_mmc_o=7BBTkwCjCmH4CjCmH4CjCmH4

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

If you want to install xp on any pc you want then you need the full retail version. You can still buy them online. If it is just going on one pc and stay on that pc then you can buy OEM, because it is tied to the motherboard that it is installed on. Your original post was asking if you could get it online legally. Yes you can.

XP Home Full version http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253941113&sr=8-1

XP Pro Full version http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253941162&sr=1-1

XP Home OEM http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253941196&sr=1-1

XP Pro OEM http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253941236&sr=1-1

You can still get copies of Win95, 98, 98se, ME, Win2000, NT

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2009
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot JohnnyDollar. Very helpfull.

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

The OEM CDs that you can buy are just like a retail version except you don't get any support. You are supposed to get that from whoever you bought it from. This support from Microsoft is not worth the extra money that a retail version costs, IMO.

The OEM versions pre-installed on computers are different because they have been fiddled with by the manufacturers (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.). Some of these might actually check to see if the BIOS is correct, or whatever.

Take my word for it, if you buy a system builder CD from Amazon you can install it on any computer you want to (I have a copy purchased from Amazon). If you get a new computer, you can then install it on that. This thing about not being transferrable to another computer means you can't run it on two at the same time.

As I already mentioned, one copy that I have has been on four different computers with five different mobos, no problems whatsoever. I have never even had to telephone to activate it, the online wizard worked every time. I can assure you that if you buy a CD from a reputable dealer like Amazon, you won't have any trouble installing and activating it.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Problem is not the working of CD. It will sure work as it,s just a windows CD like a full version. Only thing that is changed is the EULA with MS, software is exactly same as non-OEM without box.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

That is a new one on me. I wonder if Win7 OEM is the same way.

10. Johnny123

Actually it's pretty logical. Think of it this way:
    The system builder CDs are originally intended for white-box shops. They will all have hardware in a gazillion different configurations. The big players (Dell, HP, etc.) all have special deals with Microsoft. They also modify the system and in a lot of cases they don't even provide a real installation CD. These might possibly be tied to the hardware, but that would be because these companies added this code to check BIOS or whatever.

So let's assume you buy an OEM CD from an actual system builder, i.e., your local white-box shop. Everything runs fine for a year and a half and then the mobo goes south. Only problem here is that the model of mobo you had has been discontinued and you can't buy this same model, so you have to take a different one. If your Windows CD was really locked to this mobo for all of eternity you would have to buy a new CD and your old one would be an expensive coaster for your coffee table. Doesn't make sense, does it? Also if this were actually the case, don't you think you'd have seen people complaining about it in every internet forum under the sun?

Trust me, an OEM system builder CD can be re-installed if you buy or build a new computer. You just can't run it on two at the same time (legally).

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

hi johnny123, you seem to miss my point. Actually there are no technical restrictions in these OEM CDs per se. Pls get it clear. Only restriction is the EULA from MS.

12. LockBox

Count me as another missing the point too. Right now, what are you concerned about?

13. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Then what is the advantage of buying a retail version (which costs twice as much)? I thought the advantage for a retail version was that you can install it and reinstall it on any pc as long as it is installed on one pc at a time. From what your saying, you can do the same with OEM.

14. LockBox

This guy posted a long thing about OEM EULA's with WinXP (and has kept it updated):
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

Trying to use a key that is tied to a box (like a stickered HP or Dell system) will likely get you denied.

Using an actual purchased OEM disc on another system is not as tricky , but one must go by anecdotal evidence that's it's rather easy to do - or follow the EULA strictly and not try at all.

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

One difference is that if you buy it from Microsoft they will/may offer technical support.

For OEM versions you need to contact the shop where you bought the OS.
    Often, that support is very limited. Try getting support for a computer you bought 5 years ago !

Of course, the members of this forum don't need that kind of support, perhaps excluding enterprise situations.

16. Johnny123

The only (theoretical) advantage to the full retail version is that you get support from Microsoft and a nice box instead of a cellophane bag. That's it. To me it's not worth the extra money, Google is my friend when I hose something.

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I hear you. Yeah I don't need technical support directly from Microsoft. I got a real good deal on Vista Ult retail from Amazon last year. It was through a 3rd party sold at amazon. Every now and then if you are checking frequently you will catch some good deals on amazon. For example: Last week I was browsing and saw a full retail edition of Vista Ult (no sp) for $130. Anyway the reason I got it originally was to be able to install it on a pc and move it to any pc that I wanted without having to make any calls to microsoft because of activation issues. If I had known that you could install OEM's on different pc's(migrating from one pc to another) without having to call them up and giving them some excuse to activate it and going through that whole routine, then I would have bought an OEM copy instead.:p

18. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

• OEM licensing means that once installed, the software (or more specifically, the product key) is tied to a single machine)
    If you can live with the limitations, this is a cheap way of getting your hands on Windows 7.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5606

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

19. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

Not always: my IBM machine's oem XP was crushed under my wheeled chair so I borrowed a dell XP disc and used the number on my machine and it excepted it and allowed activation and all updates ect.

It seems there are cases where (for whatever reason) the box number is accepted.

20. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Then you've broken the licensing by Microsoft.
    There is no need to dissect the differences between system builder OEM and other OEM bulk licenses that are purchased through various channels.

OEM software lives and dies with the hardware it was purchased with, period.

Usually it's the software that comes on a new PC that you purchase..which is part of the reason new PCs are cheaper as a package, versus if you went and priced out each part individually at retail pricing.

This is also true for OEM versions of MS Office.

When you see OEM versions of Windows for sale at online channels such as NewEgg...the rules are you cannot purchase it individually, you must also purchase a minimum core group of computer hardware components which consists of some core components of a new computer...such as a motherboard/CPU/RAM/HardDrive. Now it's up to the vendor that you're purchasing from to define what their minimum is for this. If some "less than honorable" place allows you to purchase an OEM copy of Windows with just a pair of memory sticks...well, that's their problem to defend themselves in court against Microsoft, not yours. But this is the basic rule..OEM software with a minimum set of hardware that will define a new computer.

The fact that you were able to install your OEM cd of Windows on 4x different systems is just an illustration that Windows Product Activation in Windows XP is not perfect yet. Sometimes it activates fine, other times it wants you to call MS to get a new key..and in those cases sometimes you can sneak your way past the person and convince them of a reason to give you a new key. The system isn't perfect. But technically installing OEM Windows 4x times over a period of time onto 4x different/new computers is against the EULA.

21. Johnny123

First off, I purchased both copies I have with absolutely no hardware, that's not a requirement here (due to a court decision). I never buy computers with pre-installed OSs anyway.

You are correct that the EULA states otherwise, but the reality on the ground is that you can install it on a new PC when the old one gives up the ghost. I even register it online each time and give them my name, address and telephone number. So far no one has come to put the handcuffs on me. The real-life situation is that if you paid for it, they'll let you keep using it.

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    First off, second off, and third off..and lastly...I never said "It was impossible"

Matter of FACT...I said, "The fact that you were able to install your OEM cd of Windows on 4x different systems is just an illustration that Windows Product Activation in Windows XP is not perfect yet."

If you want to pirate..that's your call. I don't recall saying pirating was impossible. The attempt at justification by saying "I paid for it" is laughable. Technically you paid to use it on that computer, period.

The topic of "am I able to pirate OEM software" is not the subject of this thread, the OP needed clarification of OEM and retail packages, and that has been addressed.

23. Johnny123

~ Snipped as per TOS ~ I don't have it on four different computers at the same time. This is from the eula.txt in the System32 directory:

DIESE LIZENZ DARF NICHT GETEILT ODER AUF MEHREREN
    COMPUTERN GLEICHZEITIG VERWENDET WERDEN. Die
    SOFTWARE darf nur auf einem einzigen COMPUTER, wie in
    diesem EULA ausgeführt, verwendet werden. Sie sind
    berechtigt, alle Ihre Rechte aus diesem EULA dauerhaft zu
    übertragen, vorausgesetzt, Sie behalten keine Kopien zurück,
    Sie übertragen die SOFTWARE (einschließlich aller
    Komponenten, der Medien, aller Updates, dieses EULAs und
    des Certificate of Authenticity (Echtheitszertifikat)),
    und der/die Empfänger/in stimmt den Bestimmungen dieses
    EULAs zu.

What this says is that I can't use it on multiple computers at a time, only on one. It says nothing about being tied to one specific computer. It also states that I can transfer it to another person as long as I don't keep a copy of it and give that person the CD and the certificate.

U.S. law doesn't always apply to the entire world and I think your piracy accusations are a bit over the top.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  24. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Whoa YOS - We all ought to thank our lucky stars that you are NOT a Moderator here at Wilders - talk about heavy weather - I didn't notice
    anything that Johnny123 contributed re. being sneaky, or pirating.

Are you Billy's imaginary right hand man or something - Your second sentence
    above say's it all, and how would IT end up being J123's fault -
    How you manage to draw your last sentence above, from J123's actual sentence here,
    "The real-life situation is that if you paid for it, they'll let you keep using it".

Just about sums it up.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.