Buying FDISR---?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by aigle, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That looks interesting.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually as Peter said EAZ-FIX is more secure here as it has it,s own file/ sector system rather than window,s file system. It,s interesting to see how it will develop in future esp if some other similar competitive products come in the maeket.
    As I have said before EAZ-FIX is good to do a lot of testing/playing while for practical work FDISR is better, just my feeling.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Can you please let me know some of these tests so I can try them to make sure my system is as stable as possible?
    Killdisk was 1 example. Just saying reliablity under harsh conditions depends on the software and the conditions Rollback I am sure has a fault and so does FDISR. Nothings perfect.

This is one advantage of FDISR but will not be advantage for long.

This is great idea that I might start using. Of course at this point it will be with Rollback and will require an extra step. But I do think this is a good idea when surfing but not for people that do alot of downloading and installing.

Very true and both programs are great for this.

Thanks,

Chris

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

As peter said?

EDIT: OK now I see where Peter said it after I mentioned it it my post. Sorry.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

All I said was EAZFix and Rollback have their own file system. I would question it being more secure. In fact all though it might have passed Killtest, I would still suspect it at least as vulnerable if not more so. I say that as because if something were to trash FDISR's boot rollover mechanism, and even if the other snapshot isn't bootable, the files are still there, and can be recovered. On the other hand if something trashes the rollback file system, the files are gone.

That said I think there will always be a possiblilty something can trash either system, and the ability to recover will be key.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Peter, we are talking a bit of facts. Possibilities never end!

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I already told this several times at Wilders, so I repeat it again.
    Western Digital has a tool that zeroes my 2 WD Raptor harddisks completely, which takes 20 minutes per harddisk. After that my harddisks are as new. I don't think that KillDisk will erase my harddisks so thoroughly like this tool.
    I've done this several times and restored both harddisks with nothing else than my Rescue CD and my external harddisk.
    I can't think of a more worse scenario for restoration, than two EMPTY harddisks, except a harddisk crash of course.
    Unfortunately this tool can only be used for certain WD-harddisks. Upto now I couldn't find such a tool for my Seagate External Harddisk, which is a pity.
    Nothing is perfect indeed and frankly I'm getting tired of all these INSECURE and INCOMPLETE security softwares.
    Nevertheless Prevx1 has a pretty good method, that works like this :
    1. If a bad program is listed in the Community Database, Prevx1 prevents the installation.
    2. If a program (good or bad) isn't listed in the Community Database, Prevx1 prevents the installation, because the program is "unknown".
    3. If the Community Database isn't available, Prevx1 prevents the installation, because the program is considered as "unknown" until the Community Database is available again.
    So in theory all possibilities are covered. Of course you don't have to believe this, just like I don't believe that scanners prevent installation and removal of all malwares.
    I don't trust Prevx1 either, that's why I installed it in a frozen snapshot, that removes any change in my snapshot.
    Since FDISR (frozen snapshot) is NOT a security software, I still need softwares that stop the installation or execution of malwares, but I don't need scanners anymore for removal of malwares, my frozen snapshot does this better than any scanner or group of scanners.
    In theory a frozen snapshot = 100% removal of malwares, but I can't trust FDISR either and that's why I still need a CLEAN archived snapshot to replace my possible infected frozen snapshot and that makes the circle almost perfect.

Yes I know that RollbackRx is working on archived snapshots, but that doesn't make me jealous.
    I don't prefer to use RollbackRx/EazFix and this has nothing to do with the troubles of RollbackRx in the past, because these problems "seem" to be fixed in the latest version.
    I also have to continue with my other plans and I don't have the time to try RollbackRx/EazFix to see what the real differences are compared with FDISR, except speed and saving space.
    I don't need more speed or space, I'm WAITING for more (improved) FUNCTIONS of FDISR and it seems to me that this will take much longer than I expected.
    In other words, I do have a frozen snapshot, but I also have a frozen software. :(

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly. Need layers in recovery as well as security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.