Buying FDISR---?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by aigle, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just trialing FDISR and might go for buying it. So I want to discuss few points. I am planning to write directly to support as well but I thought it to discuss first in the forums.

1- Should I buy from Roxaco site.
    http://www.raxco.com/products/commerce/purchase_options.cfm?ItemTitleId=52

2- Are there any discount coupins available or competitive upgrades? I remember some user here posted that he got a competitive upgrade from RollBackRx with 50% discount? Any ideas?

3- Vista will be launched after few months so I wonder if I buy now, will I get a free upgrade to Vista version or not? Otherwise I can happily wait few months.

4- Any info when snapshot compression feature will be implemented?

Thanks for any input.

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

1/2 You are a rolloback user - send support an email and see what happens as an existing user they gave me a discount on the installation that I changes over - may be the ame for a new user - ?

4. there is a new version - when raxco release it is not known - I'd guess soon

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have not heard of any info on when Raxco is planning to release the new version. Bootback (I belive it is exactly the same software but from another vendor) has updated to the latest version already a couple of months ago. http://www.spursuits.com/bootback/newfeatures.asp
    The main difference with the new version is that you can compress the snapshots (around 30% for me and it works great) and you can install it on international versions of Windows XP.

I am a bit curious about the upgrade to the Vista version too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s really a mess, very hard to know which one is the latest version.
    Now I wonder that leapfrog still not offered this feature and a 3rd vendor has offered it, looks so weired to me.
    BTW, this is an official forum but where is the official response on this forum?

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Those changes are also planned in the new version of FDISR and I admit that Raxco seems to take alot of time to release the new version of FDISR.
    But that is no reason for me to change. I invested too much time in FDISR and ATI to make them work properly.
    Besides that, I want to enjoy FDISR for a few years. The more I know about FDISR, the better I can evaluate other similar softwares like Bootback, RollbackRx, Eaz-Fix, ... Jumping from one software to another one isn't my style.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well Leapfrog does offer the latest version (1.10) they are the developers of FDISR :) The different re sellers seems to have their own version numbers. Isnt it the same with Rollback and eazy fix and other resellers too?
    Bootback, see above, has the latest version too but Raxco does not yet. I hear they are testing it still and they had their hands full with their defragger Perfect Disk 8 until recently.

I have a Raxco Licence but got tired of waiting for the new version so I downloaded the Leapfrog version. I have been warned by other users here that I loose all support at raxco since it is not their version and Leapfrog does not support end users, but this darn software is very stable so i have never needed any support, so I am willing to take that risk. :)

7. ErikAlbert

If that is true, then Raxco has strange priorities.
    I can't do anything with PerfectDisk, than just defragging my harddisk, but I can do alot more with FDISR.
    I wasn't waiting for PerfectDisk 8, I'm waiting for the next release of FDISR.
    I hope they improved FDISR a bit more than just compression. Saving space is nice for those who need it, but I prefer more functions.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I doubt it will have any features beyond what the leapfrog version has. Compression doesn't do much for me either.

9. ErikAlbert

So nobody really reads our wish-list to improve FDISR. :rolleyes:
    (Acronis doesn't read its wish-list either.)

10. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

Really wish to see the developer here more often or at least some raxco/etc people. It feels abandoned here.

11. Peter2150

I didn't say that. Only that the new version of Raxco will be the same as Leapfrog. When Leapfrog does something new, then the resellers will pick it up.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As I know FDISR is since many years around. On contrary RollBackRx is relatively new, I am sure if Rollback people continued development, it,s not far that they might beat FDISR.
    FDISR seems just an advanced imaging tool in reality and I wonder why they did not implement snapshot exploring until now.
    Until I did not try FDISR, I was thinking it much superior to RollBackRx but now I realized my thinking was a bit wrong.

13. ErikAlbert

Each time I ask members what the difference between FDISR and RollbackRx is, I always get the same answers : less space and faster than FDISR.
    I'm still waiting for an answer that explains the differences between the two in FUNCTIONS. :)

14. Peter2150

Aigle, You still either don't get it or don't want to. They haven't implemented snapshot restoring, because that isn't the point. If it was easy for you to browse the snapshot, it would be equally easy for malware to do likewise. Unlike Rollback it is designed to have a complete bootable set of files. Frankly, I question if Rollback will ever match FDISR for reliablity, under harsh conditions. I say that only because they are using a kernel level driver to access their file system.

Pete

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That makes sense to me now!:)

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Function is same-- Instant recovery!! So u can guess.

17. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

As for buying...

I called Raxco before purchasing FDISR and asked about the distributors who were much cheaper. Raxco gave me a coupon code that got their price very close to the distributor and I didn't have to worry about shipping time or cost. The coupon was good for everything Raxco sells, so I actually got two FDISR/Perfect Disk Powerpacks for about $30 more than one copy of FDISR would have cost me in the first place. Raxco customer support rocks!

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. BTW , are there such distributors around?

19. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

20. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Don't worry Aigle I muct not get it either :)
    I doubt there is evidence that can prove this. I mean as far as malware looking into these files the same way Rollback does is not likely. Unless maybe I'm misunderstanding what your saying.
    I think the killdisk test someone did should prove otherwise.

Peter I agree with many things you say on the board and have spoke with you a couple times and usually you are the one that does not like people talking about claims that are just in theory. Almost everything here seems to be in theory. I do however agree with what you have said in the past. They operate differently and so users should pick which one works best for them. Please don't take personal but just my opinion about this one post you made. Thanks for understanding.

Edit: Also can't the FDISRfiles be explored using some explorer type programs?

21. Peter2150

Chris what I was talking about when I said that is the reason FDISR, doesn't have a browse function, is to keep the user from interacting with any snapshot but the one he is in. Since the point of the program is Instant System Recovery, if a user could mess in another snapshot he could conceivably make it non bootable also.

Remember unlike Rollback which uses it's own file system, FDISR uses the windows file system. It keeps the user out of those files, with the NTFS ownership,permission,etc settings. You can undo them if you know how, and so could malware. Raxco has acknowledged this. However Mike Nash posted and interesting link in this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=858584&postcount=25 where he referenced an article about AV's http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/secur...pps_do_not_work_/0,139033343,139264249,00.htm
    The point they made was that the Top 3 AV's don't really work, not because they are bad, but because malware author's test against them. They go on to stay Kaspersky is more successful, not because it is better, but because their market share is so low. An interesting read, and I have no way to test their conclusions. But I suspect the same thing is true with FDISR and Rollback. Just not enought of a market for malware to target it.

Frankly I rely on FDISR, to save me from software installs things I corrupt etc. It is also an excellent tool for privacy purposes. But I don't rely on it for security. In fact when I do any dodgy stuff, I tighten my security inspite of FDISR.

Now as to killdisk. You are right in this case. But lets face it, there will always be something that can come along and wipe the disk. I wouldn't assume Rollback is any more secure than FDISR, just cause it passed this one. I make the assumption that something can not only get my C drive, but also my internal D drive, where most of my images are. That is why I have at least two tested( by restoring) images, as well as current FDISR archives on an external USB drive which is turned off. I have restored my system with a 3 month old image and current FDISR archive from the USB drive to test this.

Interestingly I can browse, and recover files from, the other snapshots when I am viewing a IFW/IFD image, as the NTFS file security doesn't apply, and yes there is one explorer that can work with the other snapshot files.

Going back to Aigle's comment that I was refering to in the first comment, I doubt seriously if Leapfrog will ever implement anything that allow's working with snapshot B while in snapshot A, as that could defeat the original intent behind the creation of FDISR. Now having said that watch me get proven wrong.:D

Finally Chris, I welcome any challenges if someone think's I've missed the boat. Only way to learn.

Cheers,

Pete

22. ErikAlbert

Killdisk isn't a problem for me either, I've done worse tests than killdisk.
    Besides that, Prevx1 is supposed to prevent the installation of Killdisk and if it doesn't, I will report it to Prevx1 support and they will fix it.

All my image backups/archived snapshots are stored on an off-line external harddisk. If a destructive malware cleans my two internal harddisks, I only need my Rescue CD and my external harddisk to fix it in 30-60 minutes.
    This has been tested by myself more than enough and it worked every time.

I also use a frozen snapshot as a kind of security tool, simply because it removes any change and gives my computer back just like it was yesterday. What worked yesterday also works today and tomorrow.
    If my frozen snapshot ever gets infected, I only need to restore my special clean archived snapshot from my external harddisk.

All the rest are horror stories to scare people and need to be proven first. As long I can recover, I'm safe.

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

AFAIK they all use the same version numbers. It's just some have a later version than others.

Leapfrog: v.173
    Raxco: v.166
    Software Pursuits: v.169
    Peer: not sure as details not visible on site

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Todd from Leapfrog does when he is here.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.