Burning CD's - With Issues of Course

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by btman, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

So I got a couple problems..

Two days ago I couldn't burn a CD because my CD and my seperate DVD drive had some error or something. They both weren't being detected.

So I followed : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

And deleted upper and lower filters..

And alas... My CD and DVD drives are detected!!!

Now my CD BURNER isn't being detected. WMP11 says I have no burner, Winamp won't even give me an error it just says a "Blank CD" is in the disk drive that it won't let me write onto or tell me any info about (like how much music I can put on it etc)..

So I download 300 some MB Nero Trial... And it lets me burn CD's? But its only a trial and won't let me put on some types of files that I could put on with Winamp before.. So I'd like to have a fix that allows all CD burning programs to detect and use my burner. If any other info is needed feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance!

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Did you uninstall all cd/dvd writing and recording programs prior to deleting the filters?

I'm far from an expert, but the instructions you linked to helped me once even though I didn't uninstall my burning apps. If your looking for more information, this forum is good. http://www.cdfreaks.com/ They have a newbie forum and cd/dvd drive specific forums that may help.

Good luck

3. btman

btman Registered Member

No I didn't think it was necessary? Cuz its a pain to uninstall/reinstall iTunes, Windows Media Player, and Winamp.

If I have to do that... Do I have to delete the filters (or are new ones there now) or something?

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Like I said, I'm not an expert. I do remember the instructions saying to uninstall all related proggies before deleting the filters and then reinstalling them. Since the burner is working with a new app and not the old ones, that might[/b] be the problem. I'm only guessing though. I do agree that is a pain. It's certainly worth a try.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, I had issues for the longest time with my burner. Ended up being an ata cable, one of those custom round ones. I finally found some posts about guys who said they had problems with round ata cables. I removed mine, put an old flat one in, and problem gone. I have had a few round ide cables do that to me, so that now I won't even use them, especially on a harddrive. Course SATA fixes that mostly...

Sul.

6. btman

btman Registered Member

Ya but then why did Nero not work...

I reinstalled Windows Media Player 11.. But I didn't uninstall it first...

I guess I'll uninstall one of them completely, reinstall it and I'll update if anything changes.

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Your problem is probably related with the Atapi controller drivers. Go at your device manager tab and uninstall the "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS" and reboot. Windows will update the devices/drivers and your burner will work fine again. ;)

Panagiotis

8. btman

btman Registered Member

I have 3 controllers listed there..
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    SiS PCI IDE Channel

All 3 need to be uninstalled or just one?

Also uninstalling and reinstalling WMP 11 didn't work. And with a blank CD in the CD drive when I double click on the CD Drive.. I get this..
    "H:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function"

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Don't know. All I do know is that those cables can cause some strange problems if they are not 'quite right'.

Troubleshooting says to use a process of elimination. Just one variable I have found to look at. :)

Sul.

10. pandlouk

No only the one that controls the CD/DVD device.

Panagiotis

11. btman

btman Registered Member

Sorry if its a dumb question but:

How do I know which driver does thato_O

In the Device Manager under CD/DVD Rom drives there is no Atapi thing...

And under the Atapi thing there's nothing that specifies CD/DVD rom drive.

So which controller do I need to uninstall out of the 3 I listed before :S.

12. pandlouk

Select show devices by connection and you will see which is the right one. ;)

Panagiotis

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you would like, you can go into device manager and remove the devices. Reboot. Windows will find the devices and more than likely install the best driver it thinks it has. You can also remove the ide channels and reboot.

You don't happen to have 2 opticals on the same ide cable do you? That has been known to cause strange problems as well.

Sul.

14. btman

btman Registered Member

Ok.. So just so I'm not screwing around with the wrong stuff...
    When I sort it by connection.. I can't find the ATAPI stuff... But under Secondary IDE Channel I see:
    HL-DT-ST CD RW GCE-8525B
    HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8162B

So I should uninstall the secondary IDE Channel and re-boot comp correct?

And Sully I'm not sure quite sure, I'll look into it more if this doesn't work.

15. pandlouk

Correct.

ps. do not worry, you cannot screw anything even if you uninstall the wrong stuff. Windows does not really let you uninstall it; is more like a refresh of the device during the next reboot.

Panagiotis

16. btman

btman Registered Member

It worked! Thanks so much!

17. btman

btman Registered Member

Umm I spoke to soon unfortunately :(.

Winamp only NOW tells me how much space is on the disk (Hence I thought it was fixed).. so when I finally picked the tracks and go to burn it.. It tells me to insert a blank disk into the drive!!! When there already is one!

So I go to my computer.. and I see my drive is listed as a CD-R drive. Yay that wasn't there before... I double click it.. H:/ is not accessible. Incorrect Function.

Ugh..

18. pandlouk

I do not use winamp. Does it uses the burn engine of windows or it's own? Select your CD-R drive and try to enable or disable the the burining feature.

I hope that you did not mess the registry, when you modified the upper filters; they are difficult to restore if you didn't save the regisrty before modifying them.

Panagiotis

19. btman

btman Registered Member

So Windows Media Player decides to work now.. I'll uninstall winamp and see if that was it..

Though Winamp said there was 19 seconds on the disk...

Windows Media Player wouldn't let me put on the 22 songs.. Only 21 for some reason.

So I took the song off.. Winamp still said no disk... Windows Media Player was fine and let me burn the CD. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.