Burn on a DVD, all files are corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wokoenig, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wokoenig

wokoenig Registered Member

Hello together,
    sorry for my bad english but it doesn't exist a german forum for TI 7/ 8 <s>

My problem:
    I never can burn successfull a archiv file from TI 8 on a DVD (UDF format) with Nero.(newest version).

First, I had had a Toshiba SD -R 5002. All files are corrupted.
    Acronis support ment that may be problemes with Toshiba.
    Now I bought a LG 4082B ( newest firmware) and the same problem.

My question: Does anybody burn successfully a TI 8 archiv file on a DVD??
    When yes? HOW??

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Try burning a standard ISO DVD (not UDF)
    Be sure to keep your images at 1.9GB or smaller. (2GB IS09660 limitation)

3. mantronix

mantronix Registered Member

Hello wdormann !

Man I think you hit upon something I've had problems with ! I have 2 DVD writers and BOTH give errors when I try and put a single 4 gig file on a disc. I tried this 2 times on both writers and when I go to read the DVD disc it tells me that there is for example 245 megs on the disc, when in fact the file that I wrote was just over 4 gigs. Nero also tells me that the disc burnt successfully and even the VERIFY passed !

Are you saying that even with Windows XP and a dvd-r disc that can hold 4.7 gigs, one single file of over 2 gigs large will be corrupt ?

If you can explain anything on that, I'm willing to learn, thanks for your very informative post !

4. jimphilp@blueyonde

jimphilp@blueyonde Registered Member

I have succesfully created a TI 8 archive file on DVD with my LG-4081B [firmware A101] using the latest Nero. I copied it from a 4gb[aprox] image on my 2nd HD which has recently successfully restored my system drive after a driver problem. When asking Nero to burn this image I was informed that because the file was bigger than 2gb it would use the UDF format which was fine by me [I am obviously no expert]. Ater burning the image I have tested it by verification tool, mounted an image, used the TI 8 boot disk and selecting the DVD image up to the 'proceed' point all without a hitch. I am confident all would go well if I needed this DVD image. I realise there is not much here that would help you as I suspect you are using a similar procedure but who knows.
    I am using TI 8 [build 768] on Windows XP [SP2].

PS.. I wish my German was as good as your English.

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

It depends on *how* you write the disc. The following methods are available for creating a DVD, listed in order of disc compatibility (in my experience):

Authored ISO (Standard ISO9660 DVD created with an authoring program like Nero)
    Authored UDF (Newer filesystem without 2GB file size limit, created with an authoring program like Nero)
    Packet-written UDF (DVD created with one of the various "drag and drop" solutions, like DirectCD or Windows XP's built-in Mt. Rainier packet writing support.

I have only created ISO DVDs for my TrueImage files, and I have had no problems whatsoever. Once you venture into UDF or especially Packet-written discs, that seems to be where people are reporting problems on the forum here. You may or may not have similar problems. Due to the broad range of packet-writing techniques, that may explain why some have issues and some do not.

Since I make my DVDs bootable, that leaves out packet writing and/or UDF so I have not even bothered to check into those options. (ISO appears to be the only way to make a bootable DVD, at least with Nero)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.