BullGuard ????

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Madsen DK, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Have anyone here heard of this AV system.
    Heard it by coincidence mentioned by a colleague.
    I found a webside www.bullguard.com, but its the first time ever i have heard about it.
    Regards Ole o_O

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Ole,

mmm..are they using ActiveX on their main site? :rolleyes:.

Anyway: Claims made (cope with all known viruses, trojans/backdoors) seems a bit too much to me. Obviously has a firewall component as well. Can't remember them ever putting their software up for testing on VirusBulletin, nor the test center from the University from Magdenburg/Germany, or Andreas Marx test centre. As soon as they are willing to take the risk to put their software up for serious testing, I for one are interested to check the software out ;).

regards.

paul

3. I heard about it when I was reading over the Nod32 review in CNET. It seems some Bullguard fans were posting on Nod32's review trying to get people to look at their software. I NEVER saw it at VB, like Paul says, and if it's so good, a new company should kill to get a spot on Virus Bulletin... Besides, I don't like to install software that is not "tried and true" until I hear something about it..

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

A bit of info:

http://www.itsecurity.com/tecsnews/aug2002/aug91.htm

Regards,

Pieter

5. Madsen DK

Also to me the product seems a little unfinsihed, and almost too good to be true.
    Never testet at Virus B.?? That is a must for me.
    Saw in Pieters link that they even have a office here in Denmark.
    Strange that i never heard of it. I consider myself to be somewhat informed on this issue, but perhaps they are new here.
    Regards & thanks for the answers.
    Ole

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

FWIW.I have heard of Bullguard at Computing.net (if I remember correctly).Someone wanted opinions on it cuz Kazaa was offering that program due to the usual security concerns regarding that p2p site.I don't know the particulars;if it was free or a subsription service.Virus Bulletin tests:I agree with the sentiments on that.I wouldn't even consider an av program that isn't tested by that site.I really haven't heard any mention of it lately.If it is all it's supposed to be,people would be raving about it IMO

7. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Controler....
    this might be a case for you.....testing...testing....testing.... :D

regards,
    bill :)

8. Madsen DK

Perhaps a little stupid question for some of the more experienced useres here.
    The fact that BG is ICSA Lab certified, does it tell the truth about the quality of the product.o_O o_O
    According to ICSA it detecs 100 % of the viruses in the wild list.amo.

Regards Ole

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ole,

Opinions vary on this one. Personally, I'm far from impressed in regard to any tests which only will test software in case the software vendors have to pay for the test(s) - at the least there could be a connection between payment and the outcome from the test.

Contrary to ICSA, VB for example performs (extensive) tests without any financial commitment. For that reason, I do prefer non-commercial tests above commercial ones.

regards.

paul

10. Madsen DK

Hi Paul.
    Couldnt agree more with you.
    I didnt know that money was involved with ICSA, and when money talks all is possibly.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Regards
    Ole

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Company is based in UK and is linked to Kazaa. (The same chairman I think). The program is an antivirus and firewall and is not free; subscription is monthly or on an annual basis. The Antivirus part of the software is basically BitDefender as it uses exactly the same scan engine with a firewall tagged on. I have no personal experience of this program but reviews over at Cnet are not too favorable and there is a suggestion that spyware may be part of the program( not surprising if linked to Kazaar) and there are problems with both stability and use of system resources, particularly on XP.

Since BitDefender was based on the old AVX Antivirus this would suggest that the AV part of the program is not out of the top drawer! Maybe someone who has tested this program will post. I am sticking to KAV and Dr Web.

12. Madsen DK

Thanks for the info Blackcat.
    I will keep my current AV too.
    Wouldnt tuch BG even if it was free.
    Regards
    Ole

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.