Building Your Own Privacy Package

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Reality, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@noone_particular
    @Compu KTed

Thanks noone for the file. Hashes all good. Regarding your PM, it shouldn't automatically install, and it didn't. My experience is you have to manually import the xpi into your extensions via the extension manager. I was also thinking of asking if there was a manual way to do it without using the extension manager interface. Your file size was 4kb and mine was 8kbs so thanks for the tip on comparing sizes.

I was going through the various SM versions ... I believe the latest version is over 30MBs... With this escalation of bloat you'd have to ask with what? It's approx a 200% increase in size :cautious:

SM Installers.png

Nonetheless I'm more than happy to go on an agreed version so we're all the same. Just confirm guys and I'll go get 2.33.1?

KeyPer....Thank you for your most informative post! Obviously now I'm not going to stay on 2.0.14 but I shall be using your instructions to flesh out these tests anyway before I update as part of my learning experience. One thing I found with Mozilla and its various profiles, it's likely to instantiate a previous one and you'd better believe it will search anything that even suggests it MIGHT be attached to your computer. I had a dickens of a job making sure every trace of Thunderbird profiles were gone when I wanted to downgrade to stop the phone home nonsense that later versions do. Regarding SM, I'll have to ditch the current profile. I want a totally fresh install so I can have all the defaults in the Preferences. This time I will add a new profile and work from that.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

On 2.0.14 version 0.5.22 works perfectly. I was satisfied with it so never looked at a newer version.

3. noone_particular

Yes. Use the SeaMonkey file menu and the open file option. The method that Compu KTed outlined makes another method possible for telling signed from unsigned. After converting to zip format, the unsigned version doesn't have that folder. That folder appears to be responsible for the size difference.

I've questioned the bloating as well. I'd assume that some of it is due to HTML5 compatibility. That said, I wonder how much of it is unwanted feature creep.

4. Reality

I've DL'd SM2.33.1, unless anyone has suggestions, Im going to go for Prefbar 6.5.0; RP 0.5.22.

5. Reality

OK, got PrefBAr 7.0.0 into SM 2.0.14, however there's no indication that its installed looking at the main browser window. In the Addon Manager clicking on options the PB Window comes up but there's no buttons at all. Is that the same for you KeyPer?

6. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

PrefBar 7.0.0 is not compatible with SeaMonkey 2.0.14, however if you went to version 6.5.0
    then it should work. PB 7.0.0 doesn't list any buttons is correct when using SM 2.0.14.
    If you want to use PB 7.o.o then SeaMonkey would have to be updated to at least 2.1 or higher.
    Screenshot shows PB 6.5.0 Buttons in SeaMonkey 2.0.14.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  7. GunGunGun

GunGunGun Registered Member

No, DNSCrypt makes sense, you know, you open a http website, okay ISP can see both your DNS Query and webpage content, but if you go to a https site they will see only your DNS Query, so you probably get protection from DNSCrypt by encrypt your DNS Query.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

9. Reality

Yes I pretty much knew something would be broken, I was just curious to see what. I'm also wary about doing unneeded updates to anything including addons and so I'd like to be able to find the best versions for both Request Policy and PrefBar that don't introduce "features". I'm not against real features as long as they don't do sneaky stuff on you. Indeed I have installed 6.5 in SM 2.0.14 and it's all good, thanks to your guide :). .....:thumb:

10. Reality

Thanks CLoneR for the link. Great little tutorial I thought and easy to understand!

11. noone_particular

With HTTPS, your ISP can't see the actual content of the site, but it doesn't hide what site you went to. It's still clear where you're connecting, which is all the DNS would reveal anyway.

12. Reality

I decided to take a little detour on the way to latest SM version and install SM 2.26.1. Before uninstalling 2.0.14, I saved 3 profiles and backed the profile folder up as well as left it in the default place to see what would happen for the next SM install. I expected to have to do some of KeyPers tweaks again but I didn't. I changed the profiles from 2.26.1 and did get some various dialog boxes coming up about allowing the extensions etc. Anyway, no issues that I can see. All was done offline and had Kerio disable traffic since SM likes to go to its website directly after install.

Going through the 2.26.1 Prefs as can be expected there were some additions. "Submit Crash Reports" defaulted to on. All I can say, is when you update ALWAYS go through the Prefs and see how much they've taken it on themselves to "look after you"

Questions:
    Prefs > Advanced > Scripts & Plugins - Js defaults to disabled.. I enabled to work with PrefBar is that correct? Also what about these default settings in the lower 2 panels? Thoughts?

Prefs Scripts&Plugins window.png

Prefs > Advanced > HTTP Networking > UserAgent String ..."Advertise Firefox compatibility" default is checked. SHould I disable or leave checked?

Mmmm ... here's one I missed Prefs > Advanced >software installations > add-ons panel > "personalize add-on recommendations" default on :cautious:

13. Reality

Ive been champing at the bit about this, so last night I got busy and got Proxomitron set up again. I Installed SocksCap (not configured yet), installed the proper TOR (not TBB) Right now I'm on FF with proxo working just fine. Had to refer to this thread (the index helped :) ) a little but all good. None of that drama with the dreaded Symantec dregs. I know this computer had a reinstall done by the shop (geographically too far away for me to do it) probably about 10 years ago. I was pretty sure at the time I had already learned about the perils of Nortons, and especially System Works (or whatever it was called) and I stipulated absolutely NO Nortons. It was probably what caused it to get scumware on it anyway.

Next I'll be Linking Proxo up with SeaMonkey, then bye bye FF.

14. Compu KTed

Enable JavaScript for
    Browser
    Location in about:config > javascript.enabled (default is true)
    JavaScript is enabled globally in the browser
    JavaScript is disabled globally in the browser. (false)
    Note: Many web sites may require JavaScript to be enabled.

Enable plugins for
    Suite
    Location in about:config > plugin.disable (default is false)
    // Not sure on this one for SeaMonkey

When a page requires plugins
    Activate all plugins by default
    Location in about:config > plugin.default.state (default is 2)
    Integer value of 2 then plugin is enabled for click-to-play
    Integer value of 1 (uncheck box in PrefBar) then plugins require a click to be enabled.

Warn me if additional plugins need to be installed:
    Location in about:config > plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin
    An information bar is displayed on media embedded pages allowing user to install the required
    plugin.

True: Do not display the missing plugin information bar when a page contains media requiring plugins
    that are not installed.

False: Display an information bar for installing required plugins. (Default)

Advertise Firefox compatibility
    Only helps to get those browser-sniffing webpages to load correctly. Firefox is seen in string.
    Location in about:config > general.useragent.compatMode.firefox (default is true)

15. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Reality

Glad you liked it :)

16. Reality

Yes, looking back, Prefbar does require js so no about:config for me on this one.
    Think I'll leave this disabled. I'm not keen on Suites anyway. I learned many years ago that isolated physical devices rather than the 3 in one model (for example) had benefits such as if one goes down it doesn't take the rest with it, or if you wanted to get in and physically fix it, you had to navigate past any number of screws bolts brackets and other hindrances. I guess I see the parallel here. Stand alone apps means it's easier to isolate any trouble spots.
    I need to back up a bit and lay some concepts here. 1/ Whats the difference between plugins and extensions? 2/ Is there some overlap? ...can you expound a bit more on the bold. Thanks.
    I'll leave that at default.

Right. Someone must have had serious brain fade to use the word "advertise" ...usually they're much more cunning at obfuscating their meanings behind open ended words. We all know what advertising means :rolleyes:

17. Compu KTed

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
    Plugins:
    In computing, a plug-in (or plugin) is a software components that adds specific abilities to a
    existing software application. If supported, plug-ins enable customizing the functionality of an
    application. For example, plug-ins are commonly used in web browsers to play video, scan for viruses,
    and display new file types.

Extensions:
    A software extension is software that serves to extend the capabilities of or data available
    to a more basic program. It is a kind of list of commands which are directly included in the
    program. This term often (mistakenly) coincides with the plug-in. When installing software, you may be
    instructed to take one or more steps related to installing extensions (or these steps may automatically be done for you).

Extensions differ slightly from plugins. When the browser encounters references to content a plug-in
    specializes in, the data is handed off to be processed by that plug-in. An extension, or "addon" is
    a user interface enhancement that may add abilities such as a download manager, toolbar buttons, or
    enhancements specific to a particular web site.

//
    plugin.default.state (set to 1)
    plugins.click_to_play (set to true)
    You can make browser ask you each time a site needs a plugin whether to activate it.
    Click-to-play will allow users to manually enable plugins on each Web page.
    Browser will only load plugins when a user takes the action of clicking to make a particular plugin play.

18. Reality

@Compu KTed thanks for all that. It does seem to be a grey area, for example, It doesn't help when they have plugins accessed via Add-ons from the tools menu. Well FF.

@noone_particular, you may remember way back in this thread, saying there was a way to edit that Proxo icon. The interface is no problem, thankfully provision has been made to do that...but that icon...I would so love to change that. I'll try anything and if that fails, I'll try again!

19. noone_particular

The tool you'll need is called Resource Hacker. It will show you the all of icons, bitmaps, and more used in an executable and will allow you to replace each (within limits) with one of your choice. Make certain that you are working on a copy of the executable to be modified, not the original. If you're going to replace an icon, you need one to replace it with. It can't be larger than the original. You can also modify existing icons with image software. Just a note, the light and dark green tray icons are each separate icons. The hard part is figuring out which icons to replace. It takes a while to get used to how it works. I'm not sure where to get it any more. Original site is gone.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  20. Reality

@noone_particular - Thanks. Did a quick startpage and the owner of the software came up right away at the top of the list. It seems this utility is still very much alive. Just downloaded it from the hxxp://xxx.angusj.com/resourcehacker/#download.

I have so many copies of Proxomitron everywhere it won't be hard to find one to "work on". Thanks as always for the tips.

Edited to add: I tried to unlink the url using the usual hxxp thing but for some reason it still linked in the screenshot below. I changed the www and that seemed to work. Anyone know why this is?

link hxxp.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  21. Compu KTed

Apparently you can't delete the .cpl file for ' Internet Options ' without getting this message.
    (after deleting the file)
    EDIT:
    A correction on my part. After deleting a Control Panel Extension file (.cpl) for 'Internet Options'
    I was able to run MMC for the Event Viewer. (no popup message)
    Deleting the following key in Windows registry caused the message posted in the screenshot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer // don't delete

As mentioned before backup the registry before making any changes.

UPDATE: After totally removing IE from windows you may see the message:

"MMC requires internet explorer 5.5. or greater to be installed."
    when you try to access the device manager or other management console.
    There is a solution simply by entering an IE version number greater than 5.5 into the registry.

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    String: Version = "6.00.0000"

The IE version number is removed by XPLite when you remove the "IE Rendering Engine" from the system.
    (XPLite support desk)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  22. Reality

Good, Ive ditched it. These will do for now...
    1/
    Proxoicon.png

2/ In Bypass Mode
    Proxobypass.png

23. noone_particular

@Reality
    I think the forum software keys on both http:// and www. when it makes links. Try putting spaces between the w's. Another alternative is putting the link in a code box.

24. Compu KTed

Is the User Accounts (control panel) tied in with the Default User folder? I'm unable to change password in one
    admin account and unable to open the User Accounts. Am aware of control userpasswords2.

UPDATE: After further testing ' User Accounts ' works when removing Default User folder so that isn't
    related to the problem. XPLite removed a component(s) that I'm still trying to isolate that affects User
    Accounts from opening. Couldn't find anything on their support site.

EDIT:
    Removing JavaScript (jscript.dll) from XPLite component list caused User Accounts to open blank.
    Had to copy from dllcache folder and register the dll file so it would open.
    Type this command from Start, Run dialog:
    regsvr32 jscript.dll // DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded (popup message)

NOTE: IE HTML Rendering Engine is still installed at this point.

Concluded that removing ' IE HTML Rendering Engine ' causes ' User Accounts ' to not open.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  25. noone_particular

Confirmed on SP2 and SP3. I had the accounts set up before I stripped the rendering engine so I never noticed this. Had no reason to open it again. This adds another consideration to stripping an OS. When you remove items is just as important as what you remove. I can't help but think about the security implications of this arrangement, using javascript and browser components to create and control user accounts on the OS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.