Building an Open Source Laptop

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Balthazar, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

The funding goal has already been reached. Now there are several stretch goals.

I know what you mean but as you can see in the pictures there is plenty of space to experiment. Like it is said in the description:
    You can see that there is a market for those projects and I think this could be very important for future projects to come.
    Regarding the costs: Of course, it is expensive but you are also funding the development. I can't afford it at the moment but I am interested in what will come of this project.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Plenty of space? o_O Not unless you want to digress back in time when one popular, but fitting term for portable computers of the day was, "luggable".

No, I don't see a market at all for this - except, maybe, maybe for the hobby enthusiast, or maybe for some specialized, single purpose/POS type system. I see absolutely no reason anyone wanting a portable computer would want one that is thicker, heavier, comes with a smaller display and costs more (potentially a lot more) than today's factory made notebooks.

IF 15 - 20 years ago, when custom/self/home "PC" building became popular (thanks almost entirely due to the ATX Form Factor Standard for PCs (which made interchangeable parts from all makers possible), the big makers got together and created a similar standard for notebooks, this would have been possible. But that did not happen. Why? Because the big makers had their own plans for the future of portable computing. Consequently, notebooks today tend to be very proprietary and it is too late to change that.

Your idea is 2 decades beyond its time. It did not take off when folks tried to implement it back then, and due to further advancements in miniaturization, it will not take off today. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.