Building a (my) security suite. Suggestions welcomend

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wir.sing, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

After reading a bit more here on wilders, I decided I might give it try and "build" my own security solution out of different security apps and ditch my current all-in-one KIS.

So as far as I can see I mainly need 4 programs:
    - An antivirus (also checkin trojans and spyware)
    - A Firewall
    - Anti-Spam (not entirely sure)
    - A HIPS like program that "protects" memory, registry, processes

Some people are gonna say but what about a dedicated anti-spyware and anti-trojan program. For me personally the trojan part is already covered by my antivirus program. Some Tests (PCwelt) even attest the avs higher detection rates than the at programs. And for removal I would jst download a special removal tool for the specific trojan. As for dedicated Antispyware products, I don't really have to much faith in them anymore. The only semi decent test I know of by the (at least im my view) credible german Computermagazin CHIP left all the AS products in no good light and basically said that none of them were even particularly capabable of detecting and removing spyware (http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikelunterseite_20787558.html?tid1=29117&tid2=0]Link in german!). So my antivirus part should be as capabable as those AS Tools.

So back to my thougth about list. A

As for the Firewall i thougth about using either Outpost 4 or Zonealarm. I think though that I tend more toward using Outpost because I like the GUI and Looks of it more (yea really objective critereas here) and as I read about it it seems to be the most feature rich firewall at the moment.

As for Antivirus its down to either Avira Antivir or KAV. I know NODs out there as well. But I just don't like the program. Tried it and its just not my thing. So back to Antivir and KAV. As far as detection av-comparatives awarded Antivir the better detection rates in the last test, so did a recent trojan test by av-tests.org published on the PCwelt page. Speedwise also Antivir does the quicker job. Main letdown about Antivir is the high(er) chance of getting false positives, but I don see this as too troubeling since I know quite well what programs should be doing and what program isn't a virus (at least I hope)

So this leaves as with the HIPS program. As said in the other threat I don't like CIPS. So I got these 3 programs in my list:
    -GSS
    -PG
    -SSM
    As for what Im searching exactly now is a program that protects the memory, the processes and the registry. So I think all 3 should be able to do the task. Im mot quite sure which one I would choose.

As for Antispam I have no idea of what is a good product. So I would welcome recommondations.

As for more general points, I think all programs would have to have a setting that would allow to password protect it. So for example if you try to shut it down you need to enter a password. Another question I have don't seperate programs consume more system ressources than an all-in-one solution.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AV - KAV
    FW - Outpost Pro
    HIPS - SSM
    Antispam - u can try the thunderbird client and use its builtin filters.

3. wir.sing

Had my dealings with Thunderbird and I don't like it too much. Settled down with windows live mail desktop. But yea im not too sure if an extra antispam option is needed since most mail clients got one build in. I think ill give the built in one a try.

As for Antivirus why KAV over Antivir? Any special reason?

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I think you have an adequate defense lineup, traditionally speaking. I am now taking a little bit untraditional appoach; I add sandbox/virtualization app, such as DeepFreeze , to my lineup, especially a frequent net surf user like me. Everything occured, good and bad, within that frozen mode is 100% (i believe so) gone w/o any trace. You do not bother AV,AT,AS or even disk/registry cleaner, simple and esay. I am spending much less downtime in playing w/ these traditional security apps. This is an approach I wish I could have adopted a long time ago.:)

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u dont want to pay then go with antivir, but for paid app i prefer KAV.

sure antivir scored a lil better than KAV, but i like KAV better overall. it has a web scanner, proactive defense (if u want hips), and its quite light on resources.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For free nothing beats,
    Antivir + Comodo Firewall + Spyware Terminator.

Or else you could try AVS or Avast + Windows Defender + Sunbelt Kerio or ZA free.

A simple favourite of mine is AVG + Kerio 2.1.5 + Teatimer (or Arovax Shield)

7. wir.sing

No im planning to spent money on it. So im not lookin for free version. And about Kerio Firewall I read to much bad stuff (firewallleaktester.com both the leak and kill. kerio doesn really proves itself here). Though I have to say the interface is very intuative. But as I said Im able to spend money on it, so the "for free" is not the ultimate criteria. And Im already quite definate on the Outpost 4 as Firewall. Unless someone comes now and shows me something that makes Outpost unusable

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Are you behind a router/NAT firewall?

For anti-spam I like Mailwasher Pro. There is also a free version with reduced functionality.

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well my picks for a paid for security suite would be
    Outpost Pro 4 + NOD32 + Spysweeper

Outpost 4 is very secure, however if set to its highest security mode can be a little confusing to use for the novice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.