Build 1124

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acronistientuser, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just downloaded and installed Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 8 Build 1124. I then created bootable rescue media and attempted to create an image from a 6 GB partition. In the past, when I have created images with True Image Enterprise Server, the image sizes in high compression have always estimated the size of the actual image to be approximately 1/2 of the original size of the partition. However, after using the newest build of True Image Enterprise Server, build 1124, even after setting the compression level to High, the estimated image size was expected to be around 10.95 GB! Now, instead of 1/2 the size of the actual partiton, the image size was expected to be nearly 2x the size of the actual partition!! What happened in this build?? What is the point of taking an image that is double the size of the actual used space on the partition? I would just as soon use Ghost or some other partitioning utility if the newer releases make the image sizes larger!!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello acronistientuser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software for Server.

Please try to create the image of a 6GB partition, after that please tell us the size of a creating image.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. I created an image as was requested and the image creation was actually much worse than estimated. The actual used space on a 20 GB partition was 6 GB but the final created image was in excess of 13 GB!! In addition, even though I specified high compression and no splitting of the files, the files were split into 2 6.6+ GB files.

I am not sure what happened in Build 1124, but something severely went wrong during the build and deployment process...

4. Acronis Support

Hello acronistientuser,

Could you please try to create the image of the same partition under Windows and tell us whether the size of the image is the same? Also please let us know what partitions you have on your hard disk. Please verify the created image using "Check Image" tool and also try to exlpore it (you may explore image only under Windows) and tell us the result of all the operations.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. The imaging process under Windows is just too time consuming for me to play around with constantly testing this new build. Therefore, on another computer, I created a brand new image of a partition that only had 7 GB of data on it and the resulting image using High compression was approx. 13 GB in size. I then attempted to take that image and restore it to a 15 GB partition and was unable to do so because Acronis True Image Enterprise Server reported that the partition was not sufficiently large to accommodate the image restore. I then increased the size of the partition and it was not until the partition was expanded to nearly 3 times the size of the image that Acronis True Image Enterprise Server would be able to restore it. Unfortunately, this testing has been extremely time consuming. I think I am just going to revert to using the previous versions of the software until a newer release comes out that does not have this tremendous bug in it.

Thank You.

6. Acronis Support

Hello acronistientuser,

I am really sorry for the problem being not solved yet. Have you tried to explore the created image? Also please make sure you create the image only of one partition and not of the whole disk. Are all your actions in wizard the same with the older build which gives the normal result?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. I have not yet tried to explore the image, but yes, all of my actions for creating the image are the same as in the 941 build that I have used. Hasn't anyone on the development team, testing team or other users of Acronis True Image Enterprise Server experienced similar problems with this new 1124 Build?

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

using the boot cd for true image corporate workstation, i also notice the same problem, however, the estimated image size is a glitch. the file size is normal (small) so as long as u can estimate the size for urself, u should b fine.

9. Acronis Support

Hello acronistientuser,

Could you please tell whether you are talking about image that was created or are you judging only by estimation that is shown by Acronis True Image? There is known problem with estimation algorythm in the build 1124 and this will be fixed in the next build. If the actual image size is still much larger than the size of the used space please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

at one time, i remember the estimated file size was around 30gb even tho the location to create the image on was only 4gb. the actual size was less than 1 gig. but im glad its a known bug and will be fixed. thanx for the help.

11. Re: Build 1143

I just downloaded and installed the latest release build, Build 1143 of Acronis TrueImage Enterprise Server. I am happy to state that the size estimates and time estimates seem to be accurate now. Even the actual compression of the image is now corrected from the previous build of 1124. Unfortunately, though, something went wrong in the build process. Previously, in Build 941, the time to compress and make an image of less than 10 GB was very brief, usually under 20 minutes. Now, however, the time for the estimate was 16 mins. but it actually took nearly 3 times that length of time (a whopping 45 mins!!) I guess the Acronis development team has to go back to the development barracks and fix what they broke...

12. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

I've seen the same thing in 1123 (didn't try 43 yet) - 3 minutes on screen that actually took 20.

Also, the size of the incrementals seem very bloated compared with old V2I backups of the same test machine.

Haven't really tried a direct comparison yet but I will...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.