Bugs with Acronis True Image 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by silentmonolith, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentmonolith

silentmonolith Registered Member

I have been trialing this product for a while and I am very displeased. Here are the bugs:

-Acronis Loader is activated, but whenever I try to use it (by pressing f11) "My computer" options do not appear (i.e. Acronis Secure Zone, CDROM, HDD, etc). All I see is just "My Computer" and the mouse is a constant hourglass.

-Using Acronis Loader via bootable CD is a different story: everything appears under "My Computer" - however, when I try to select the Acronis zone, I'm getting the continuous hourglass and I can't access the zone.

-ok I said, forget the *.tib in the zone - I made a DVD with all my backups. Let's use it. What a joke! Using the same approach-->using the loader via CD, then removing it and inserting the DVD with the backups, I have these problems:
    the DVD contains an entire image of my system, divided in 3 tibs: the first 2 have a size of 1.8GB, the last about 200 MB. When I click on tib #1 I get this: "this is not an Acronis volume" (I can't reproduce the message exactly); then I click on tib #2: "this is not the last volume"; fair enough, then I click on #3 --> "this is not the last volume". As stated earlier, #3 was the last volume, however Acronis doesn't agree on that; from what I see, Acronis is pretty much useless outside Windows. The problems mentioned earlier disappear if I do the recovery within Windows.

-issues with burning the backups on DVD: initially I tried to burn a DVD within Acronis: after a few minutes I'm getting a failure message: DVD quality is poor or something like that. I doubt that was the problem. If burning under ISO format, the files have to be <2GB; UDF format supports >2GB. I believe Acronis is unaware of this, and was trying to burn a large backup without splitting it using the ISO format.

-issues with FTP upload: my ftp server can't deal with files larger than 2GB. Again, Acronis is unaware of this and tries to upload large backups (it seems it can't split volumes if uploading to FTP). I would like to mention that all the backups have been validated by Acronis, and the DVD has been verified by Nero.

-Acronis does not offer a program/solution capable of accessing corrupted TIB volumes (I had a backup which became corrupted and I was unable to mount it/explore it)

Considering that this latest version still has bugs which have not been resolved, I will use a different solution. Too bad, because I really like the program however it's not offering a 100% bulletproof backup security.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI11 is one abused pooch. All of the bugs have probably been enumerated many times -- just pick one and search the forum. There have been two additional builds since the original release last September they had only a few minor corrections. There probably won't be any significant improvement until the traditinally annual release of a new verision. Although, ATI just might stick with version 11 for longer than a year if, as some suspect, it had sent all its programmers home before ATI11 was finished and there's no one around to fix 11 or build 12. ;)

ATI10 is terrific if it supports your hardware and you can get your hands on it.

3. silentmonolith

Thanks for your reply - some of the issues were resolved by itself. If Acronis is started outside Windoze, it appears I have to wait 2-3 minutes in order to have access to Acronis Zone or whatever listed under "My Computer". However the other issues still remain: FTP, unable to use my *.tibs from DVD. I'll try and downgrade to ATI 10.

4. silentmonolith

I downgraded to ATI 10 and I noticed some improvements:

-outside Windoze, ATI 10 was able to recognize the tibs on my DVD, and it was possible to restore either the entire system or particular files (however I had to recreate my tibs with ATI 10 as follows: 2 tibs of 1.8 GB and a 3rd one of 200 MB). The initial DVD, created with ATI11, which had the same file structure was useless.

-bugs with ATI 10: still, ATI's DVD burning feature is non-functional: initially it told me I need 2 DVDs. After burning the 1st one it asked me next for the last volume of media?!. I thought it means insert the 2nd disc, however when inserting a blank DVD it told me "unable to open last volume" or something. When I put back the first burned DVD it would ask me again for the last volume?! There goes to trash another DVD.

The only solution to this was to create a tib of the entire system, have it split in 1.8 GB increments and save it on HDD. THen using Nero I burnt it on a DVD, with file verification at the end.

Just curios - anyone here managed to make an entire copy thesystem and have it burnt on a DVD and then being able to restore it outside Windows?

5. LarryR2

LarryR2 Registered Member

I have two ATI10 licenses and one (uninstalled) ATI11 license. Since I own a Seagate external USB drive, I also installed the free Seagate DiscWizard (10-0-0-5077) on several notebook computers. DiscWizard works very well if an occasional full backup is all you need. It lets you create a recovery CD and also supports "exploring" the archive file (to easily restore individual files or folders).

If you own a Seagate or Maxtor USB drive (or are considering such a purchase), you should go to the Seagate website and then Support / Downloads / DiscWizard / English (or your desired language) and download a copy while it is still based on ATI10.

*** UPDATE ***
    I just downloaded a new copy of DiscWizard and it is now based on TI11 (11-0-0-8142) but, hopefully, the ATI10 version might still be available on other download sites.
    *** UPDATE ***

I wonder how much more money Acronis could make if they took a clue from Microsoft and let people buy an ATI11 license and then (legally) "downgrade" to ATI10 until the problems are fixed...

Larry

6. Joe60

Joe60 Registered Member

When useing a dvd to restore a backup you must enter the Last dvd of your backup,it will then ask you for the first dvd, and then it will restore from the dvd backups.

7. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

I'm curious, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just backup to a hard drive rather than have to deal with multiple DVD burning every time you want to do a backup? I suspect if you abandoned the disk approach your problems would go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.