Buggy trial version ? Can't update - Asked for username / password

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Aoao, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

Hi,

It seems that there's still a problem with the trial version.
    In the last few days, I tried to update my trial version of nod32 v4 but each time the update fails : I should enter a username and a password (I still have 20 days...). Most of the time, files are being loaded, it stops and a box pops up asking for UN and PW.

I tried everything and read previous posts.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the trial version, cleaned hidden folders or even remaining reg entries.
    Even after a fresh OS install, the problem persists (note that it works with the previous nod32 v3).

I guess that the problem comes from eset's servers. Any idea ?

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Aoao,

None of my prospective clients have reported this issue to me recently when trialling EAV/ESS - what operating system are you running, what other software do you have installed & how many times have you actually tried the 30 day trial successfully?

Cheers :)

3. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your help !
    To answer your questions :
    -I'm using Windows Vista x64
    -I was previously using a free antivirus software, then I tried Kaspersky (but I didn't like it) so I switched to Nod32. I tried Nod32 v3 but I saw 2 days later that v4 was out. As I said, the only problem with this new version was the impossibilty to update it. I read several posts and Eset's faq and applied their solutions. It didn't work so I formatted my HDD (because I wanted to for some other reasons and also to exclude any compatibility issue with a previous antivirus software). And then, the problem persisted...

4. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

Hi! Here's the idea:

1) Uninstall ESET v4
    2) Reboot
    3) Delete all ESET folders (in vista the should be here):
    * C:\Program Files\ESET
    * C:\Users\.....\Application Data (hidden folder)\ESET
    * C:\ProgramData (hidden folder)\ESET
    4) Reboot
    5) Install ESET v4

Cheers :)

5. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

Hi Dracula,

That's exactly what I've done previously, following the tips that I found in this forum.
    Concerning those directories, the first one (C:\Program Files\Eset) and the second one (C:\Users\<User name>\Appdata\Eset) are automatically removed by the uninstaller.
    The last (C:\ProgramData\Eset) is the only one to remove manually and contains nothing except stats files I guess.

Thanks anyway ! :)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just out of curiosity, would you please post here the link you downloaded the trial version from?

7. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

8. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

Odd. :rolleyes:

What about the update server? Maybe it bugged out and connects to the servers for registered users?

9. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

Yes that's strange.
    As I said, most of the time, the loading bar appears and the download starts but it fails before the end.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've installed the 64-bit trial version of EAV and it didn't prompt me for credentials. Could you please export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security registry key to a reg file and convey it to me? I'll PM you my email.

11. Aoao

Aoao Registered Member

Sent, thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.