bug in my email

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Rosemary Wilkes, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know what to do but I'm livid right now. It seems that 2 days ago, something has been happening that people are accusing me of sending them some type of email about some virus. All the emails say that they are on my list and to take them off. It seems that this may have something do with a pocket pc site that I may have subscribed to. I'm not even sure what virus or something else it may be but it's driving me crazy because I wouldn't do such a thing to anyone. I'm a victim here with no idea as to what it going on. Maybe you have some ideas. I ran my anti-virus which did not find anything and I have zone alarm. I'm running windows ME, use IE explorer and outlook express. If you have any ideas, please help.

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Rosemary and Welcome!

One of the first things to consider is the possibility that your AV product has been crippled by some undetected virus (many of the new ones are pretty adept at this and they even leave the AV visibly running to make people believe they are still protected)

I suggest you try an online scanner such as Panda's ActiveScan which you can access here

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Hope this helps,

Dan

3. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

Dan,

Is it possible that Rosemary's email address was harvested by spammers from that pocket pc website, and is now being used as the fake "reply to" address as a spoof address to send spam?

In which case, she should request copies of those original emails, trace the email headers, find out who is really sending those emails, and report them to their ISP........

Rosemary, are these accusers people that you already know or random? If the former, you could also have a virus that is basically sending stuff to all/some of the people in your address book. If your current anti-virus program is not detecting anything, I'd go along with Dan and get a second or even third opinion from an online scan and/or another installed AV.

One thing I wasn't clear about: are they accusing you of sending an email ABOUT a virus, an email CONTAINING a virus or both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.