Bug found in FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hope I can explain this so all can understand (at least those of you who understand how FD works). And besides, how important can it be for a program that has not even been supported for years.

I keep two bootable Snapshots, my Primary (my real c:drive) and my Secondary (kept only for booting into recovery mode). I have always kept my Secondary Snapshot very clean for the obvious reasons but especially since I obtained a Solid State Drive (again for the obvious reasons).

Early this morning I booted into the Secondary Drive simply to see if I could find any "junk" from the past that could be deleted. Hope I can describe this so it makes sense: in the "quick launch" area I found an old icon for a shortcut to a Notepad text file that I had created a long time ago that still exists on my current system (i.e. Primary Snapshot). I went into "My Documents" where I always keep such text files in order to delete it (saving myself probably a massive 1kb). There was no such document but when I clicked on the "quick launch" icon there it was, the text file. I decided upon a test: I typed a message on the file and saved it. I then booted into my Primary Snapshot (read as c:drive) and sure enough, the message had survived the boot into the Primary drive (my c:drive).

Whoa ... this is not supposed to happen with this program. A file somehow went from one snapshot into another.

Let me anticipate one of your questions: NO, I do not and never have used the Anchoring feature. My system: Windows 7 (Admittedly not meant for FD but thanks to Panagiotis, still working with FD).

This is not going to stop me from using my favorite recovery program after almost, how many years is it, 10?, but I found it rather "cute". This should not affect anything major and FD will continue to be my favorite recovery program (and favorite program period!). Just curious for any comments. Thanks.

Acadia

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Download voidtools everything and search for say *.txt you will see that text files are listed from the current snapshot and all the others stored on the C drive

Creating a cross linked shortcut is very easy if you pick a file from a another snapshot and then paste as shortcut .

Not sure how your situation arose - but it has always been very possible to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.