[Bug] Ess 3.0.551 WPA2/AES slowdown

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kC_, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

[Bug] Ess 3.0.551 WPA2/AES slowdown [fixed]

laptop:
    xp pro oem sp2
    laptop p4 2.66ghz
    1gb ddr
    Netgear wg511 wireless adapter (v3.0 drivers)
    router - thompson st585v6 (fiirmware 6.2.17.5)
    wireless set to 54digit WPA2 AES

without ESS installed, i can watch video (xvid) from my mediacenter (no firewall or AV installed on mediacenter)

as soon as i install ess on the laptop and attempt to watch anything over the network, mediaplayer/vlc just hangs and becomes unresponsive, this is the same no matter if ESS is in auto or interactive mode.
    nothing is being reported as being blocked in the logs. i also tried unticking "scan network drives" in the antivirus section of ESS.

its not just watching films/tv shows, even just copying a large file over the wireless is incredibly slow..

BUT if i open a remote desktop session & minimize it (to another pc on my network), then eveything goes normal, Film/tv shows play perfectly on the laptop, and copying files is as quick as can be expected for 54mps wireless.

also if i change my network to the less secure WPA or WEP then eveything is fine, only problem is when i use WPA2/AES

once again, i reported this in beta2 & rc1

thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

ok fixed!!

seems that ESS doesnt get along well with the firmware, fixed after i just ran latest firmware for the router.

info here in case it helps someone in future..

router - Thompson st585v6 with (firmware 6.2.15.7) will suffer this problem with ess installed

firmware 7.4.1.7.0 fixes it.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.