Bug? ekrn.exe can be terminated by users!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rahx, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I just tried to rename on my xp laptop to check and couldn't either. Looks like this was fixed with the .621 version.

2. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

Indeed, gratitudes to the developers. That feels a lot safer now. Thanks for the heads up. :)

3. 0wca

0wca Registered Member

Ok, so I found a way to end the process even if you can't rename it.

1. Right click on "My Computer" -> "Manage"

2. Then on the next screen click on "Services" and find the service "Eset service".

3. Right click on it and select "Properties"

4. On startup type, select "Disabled".

5. Then click on the 3rd tab named "Recovery". On "First failure" select "Take no action". Do the same for the second and subsequent failure.

6. Now enter task manager and kill the processes ekrn.exe and egui.exe. They won't reappear.

To make the process run again undo the steps, and run the desktop/start menu program shortcut (the processes will reapear).

(I think this works for all processes)

I have found this trick useful for when you want to play game over the net and NOD is the cause for a crash or a failure to connect. This way you don't need to uninstall the whole program in order to play. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.