BuffeZone Pro 4.00 is available!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Trustware, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I don't know about the 4.oo version, but previous BZ you had to configure to pass all tests-so it's not recommendable to be on the default level, that's what I meant. I'd like to try BZ but I'm still scared of the bugs it has, bsods and similar.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah you had to configure it a little. I never leave any of my programs at default. Once it was configured, it was a very good security program. It was like a anti-exe/ sandbox/isolation program. It ran well in VM so give it a spin and see if you can reproduce any bugs. I ran it for a few days and didn't see any BSOD, only a few GUI/graphical bugs. Nothing huge.

3. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

BZ 4 64 bit is a work in progress; I have tried it along a few security software such as SEP 12, CIS, F-Secure, Outpost, and so far only Outpost got along along with BZ 4. With F-Secure, BZ 4 64 caused windows logon to crash, SEP 12 would not update anymore and the booting process was slow as hell; with CIS, BZ 4 prevented my computer to even boot, somewhere along the booting process hung. Only Outpost worked with BZ 4 64 bit.

When someone says that BZ 4 64 bit is working fine please let us know what security software you are running along with it. Thus far my only warning is not to try BZ 4 until all those major bugs are ironed out and properly tested.

I hope someone from BZ can respond and let us know what is being done to remediate all those headaches, since I do like BZ as a good security product.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

BZ alone is enough for protection. i used Norton DNS with Bufferzone Pro..Nothing escaped from this software..:thumb:
    My only problem is System startup become slow.. dont know why:doubt: .

5. CogitoTesting

I beg to differ my friend. Computer security should be built from a layered approach. BZ 4 alone is not enough. :).

Thanks.

6. nikanthpromod

ok....;)

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nothing is 100 percent but most all are above 90 and that is good enough by itself.

BZ Pro is as good by itself as say, Kaspersky, or Sandboxie, or Geswall or Eset. It may not keep all out but I really dont think you actually get that much more protection by adding another active process.

8. CogitoTesting

BZ pro is not an Internet Security Software like KIS, CIS, NIS, OSS etc.. Bufferzone was designed to run alongside other security software. It is however an added protection, but not a complete security software by itself.

For example, I experienced a malware that crippled Geswall processes and consequently, Geswall was not able to start and the malware had free range to do whatever it pleased. However, had I included a security software like CIS, Online Armor, or OSS Geswall processes would have been protected and prevent its shutdown.

Anybody who is running those types of software such as Geswall or BufferZone by itself is simply asking for trouble; and surely trouble would come eventually.

Thanks.

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Agreed. I use it in conjunction with KAV and MBAM Pro. No one should depend on one solution alone.

10. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Thanks for sharing this.

11. kjdemuth

I've used it along side Comodo firewall and Panda cloud AV. It worked rather well. You just have to delete the firewall rules in bufferzone.

12. CogitoTesting

On a 64 bit system?

P.S.: Yesterday I tested BZ 4 with ESS 5 and it worked well without deleting any firewall rule in BZ. Thus far only OSS and ESS are working alongside BZ 4 without a glitch.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I reinstalled BZ on windows 7 64 bit laptop ,with intention of trying to report any bugs ,hopefully get a bsod and send some logs to BZ.However upon reinstalling I haven't had any bsods ,but the gui problem(icons) with sticky password still occurs (expected as theres been no update) but i found another one.It seems to seriously mess with task scheduler.When i opened task scheduler i had errors ,where remote computer was not found ,no data loaded and task scheduler library missing.According to bufferzone only firefox and firefox container plugin was in bufferzone so im not sure why there should have been a problem with task scheduler.I would imagine that the only programe that may conflict with BZ is possibly spyshelter ,but that hasnt blocked anything to do with BZ and vice versa as far as i can see.Anyway ,there seem to be way to many things that are incompatible or buggy ,so Im going to uninstall it again and leave it to proper beta testers.

Attached Files:

14. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Is there a selective install for the components in BZ ver4? ...

I tried it out not so long ago but I cannot make it work with Comodo or with any 3rd party firewall like OA free. The firewall component seems to be conflicting with the 3rd party firewalls. I did delete the firewall rules previously but I got into a limbo of "Preparing your desktop" after that nothing..just a black screen.

15. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

Agree with the whole layering thing being discussed here.

I don't have any kind of real-time action going on here but I use several programs, one of which is Sandboxie.

I tried BufferZone not too long ago but found Sandboxie much easier to grasp and tweak. A quick search on here helped me seal it up pretty tight.

IMO it's overkill to use Sandboxie and BufferZone at the same time-even more so if you throw something like Defensewall in there too.

A sandbox within a sandbox within a sandbox.

Like a sandy Inception :)

16. kjdemuth

No. Not that I noticed at least. It worked well with comodo firewall on my 32 bit win 7. I did have comodo installed first and had D+ on training mode. I didn't have any other isssues.

17. nikanthpromod

BZ wont work with OA & Comodo
    -http://www.trustware.com/compatibility-issues/-

18. CogitoTesting

Thanks for the info.

19. kjdemuth

It doesn't work with CIS. It does work with comodo firewall.
    "Comodo Internet Security
    BufferZone may not function properly in conjunction with Comodo Internet Security - it is not recommended to install both applications."

20. jasonbourne

@kjdemuth,

Thanks for the reply. Really interested to try it out again.

Did you happen to use D+?

What AV did you use in tandem with Comodo firewall?

The set-up was Avira IS 2012 without the firewall. CIS ver5.8 with D+ without the AV. So I am using just the firewall and D+. So are you saying that I have to remove D+...?

I used Avast IS with the firewall and BZ worked. Avira IS 2012 with the firewall and iut also worked. It did not work with OA free/Premium and CIS firewall with D+. (Avast IS without the firewall+OAfree/Premium and Avira IS 2012 + Comodo firewall with D+).

Any ideas there..?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  21. kjdemuth

Nope just plain old comodo firewall with everything that comes with it (sandbox, D+, etc). I wasn't using an AV at the time. You could try and use panda cloud with it. Once you tweak bufferzone enough and have comodo with D+, sandbox and cloud scanner all you really need to do is run an on-demand scan every once and a while.

22. jasonbourne

Okay thanks for the ideas here. Anyone using BZ4 now with Panda Cloud? I heard that Panda Cloud scan takes a bit long..yes? Am considering using the combo on a dial-up...will that be a problem or issue?

Thank you.

23. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi KJDEMUTH

When you say that Bufferone WILL work with Comodo Firewall AND D+ did you mean 64bit as well?

Also did you make any alterations to Bufferzone to allow Comodo FW+D+?

Reason I asked this is because I tried to install Comodo as above and Bufferzone would not start. I then contacted Trustware and they told me to forget it ie Comodo FW+D+ was incompatible at the moment with Bufferzone.

Any light u can shed gratefully received

Terry

24. kjdemuth

I don't know about 64bit. I only have a 32bit laptop. As fas as alterations, yes. I put comodo D+ and firewall in training mode. I then installed bufferzone. Once bufferzone was installed I deleted the firewall rules in bufferzone. I then changed a lot of bufferzone defaults to either max or just below max. I then ran it for a few hours and then changed comodo firewall back to safe mode. I didn't have any issues. Of course thats not saying that you won't.

25. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

For all of you BufferZone Pro users....

BufferZone Pro version 4.02-127 has been released today (June 6, 2012)

Changelog:

Network Access Control (BufferZone Firewall):
    · Improved compatibility with commercial Firewalls
    · Added the option to enable or disable the Firewall

· System Status Monitor"
    · BufferZone periodically checks the status of its different components and reports their status

Bug Fixes (partial list):
    · Several rare situations which might result in an Operating System instability
    · Improved support for multiple monitor displays
    · A situation where BufferZone related files remained after uninstalling BufferZone
    · Several situations where accessing network resources did not function properly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.