Bufferzone Free question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by q1aqza, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

2. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Installed the beta version 2.50.17.
    Indeed all temp(internet) files are now also in the sandbox (that's good).

However, when surfing I normally "disable protection" to save a bookmark (works fine in the 2.10.37 version). When I try this now it asks me whether or not I like to keep the "untrusted" program (Firefox). When I decide to keep it (because I want to save the bookmark permanently) the system shuts down "NT Authority/system : DCOM server process launcher terminated unexpectedly".
    When I try this with Avantbrowser, Avantbrowser freezes, no system shutdown.
    When trying this with IExplorer 6.0, IExplorer crashes, no system shutdown.
    All in all, not a good sign.

Another option is to "surf out of the Bufferzone" this is no option (for saving the bookmark) as it opens a new browser ;-(
    Furthermore I think when offering an option it should not crash your system (at least).

Anyone having the same problem(s) o_O

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

That's why they call it "beta" :)

I just had a frozen Firefox when I tried to remove it from BufferZone, while it was open
    and TrustWare said they were aware of that 'bug' and would fix it.

One easy way to save bookmark/bookmarks/Favorites etc. is to just open that "Virtual" Folder
    and do it from there before "Cleaning" BufferZone.

A careful watch has seen no Temporary files created out of 'Virtual' tree for two months now in version 2.10-37
    Only tested beta 2.50-17 for a week, but it was fine in that respect as well.

Murr's Board> Sandbox/Virtualization> BufferZone> New Beta page.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Only "System Slowdown" seen is on FIRST open (while Bufferzone creates "Virtual Folder Trees")
    and on Browser, following BZ-Clean.

4. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Thnx Pilotart for the link to the "New Beta page" :cool:

I understand, but I was curious if someone had the same issues.

I really like the program.
    I used Virtual Sandbox (Fortres) before. After doing some test this BZ came out as most "bulletproof".:ninja:
    VS had some issues keeping the trojans in..

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

VS is not good at all. The worst of all sandboxes I have used.

6. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

I tried the last few days a few sandbox/virtual/HIPS progs.
    They all claim to be secure.
    Greenborder and Bufferzone offer tests to prove you are "unsafe" and should buy/install their software.
    Greenborder has a "thourough" testprogram passing all it's own tests (of course :cautious:) however if you test Greenborder with the simple trojan test from Bufferzone it's seems to be "leaking".
    This also goes the otherway around.
    What does this tell me ?
    The test are fake ? (they only check if you installed their software, if so it passes all tests)
    Or the software is very dependend on how/which test you perform ?

BTW: I performed the Greenbordertest/
    and the Bufferzone test on several programs:
    1. GesWall 2.51- GBtest: failed (on all accounts, warned however in orange for security breach)
    BZ test : failed
    2. Sandboxie 2.80 - GBtest: failed (passed Stealing Passwords, Remote Control by Botnets)
    3. Bufferzone 2.50 beta - GBtest: failed (passed Stealing Files, Stealing Passwords)
    BZ test : passed
    4. Defensewall 2.0 beta - GBtest: failed (just warnings)
    BZ test : failed (warnings)
    5. Greenborder - GBtest: passed

All in all, virtual/HIPS is not enough you still need good antivirus/firewall soft ?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ur reslts are probably wrong.
    GW will pass BZ test if u make all of my documents folder confidential. GB test is buggy.
    Moreover, both tests are failed by many mainly in areas of privacy that is not the job of sandboxes. If u want to test, try real malware. See the tests of AV comparatives.
    BTW, sandboxes don,t replace AV or FW, they complement them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.