BufferZone and First Defence - Compatible?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by TonyDownUnder, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

I've been happily running FD-ISR 1.10 Build 173 together with NOD32 2.7 and Outpost 4. Thought I'd give BufferZone a try and the install went well and I clicked reboot to finish the BufferZone installation. My computer booted as normal until it got just past the WINXp screen with the running progress bar. As you now the screen goes blank briefly and one normally sees the blue "logging in" screen. At the blank screen phase the computer rebooted again and again and again. I tried booting from a complete shutdown and still got the endless loop of rebooting but never to a desktop.
    It struck me that FD-ISR changes the MBR and that perhaps BufferZone wasn't keen on this. FD-ISR worked fine and I booted my secondary snapshot and all is well.
    Is anyone successfully running FD-ISR with BufferZone or with Green Bordr for that matter?
    I knowI have enabled all the Threatsense options etc. in NOD and wonder if it is treating BufferZone is a malicious program. I would think though that the interference is too early in the boot process for NOD to be the culprit.
    Thanks for any comments.

2. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i test geswall and no issue in running with fd-isr....

maybe you can try that or other expert can tell...

3. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Not sure who the culprit was, I suspected Kaspersky at the time, but every time I installed BZ my computer would BSOD at boot. I was very happy to have FDISR to rescue me each time. I didnt suspect FDISR then because the two shouldnt interact but who knows. Ran fine with Geswall and Greenborder and I wound up buying GB. I seem to recall a conflict between BZ and Kaspersky that was supposed to have been fixed (by BZ) but you couldnt prove it by my experience. I don.t recall reading about any issues with Nod on the BZ forum but you may try there if you haven't yet.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One thought I'd have is if you have FDISR, do you really need some of these other programs.

I have setup where I have my Primary snapshot, and a bare minimum secondary snapshot, just booting purposes. I also keep a full "secondary" as an archive off disk. For routine safe surfing AV and OA type programs are all I feel I need. If I am going to do anything remotely dodgy, I just copy/update my archive which is very fast, and then do what I want. When done, I just refresh my primary, from the archive.

Side benefit of keeping system lean and mean.

ALso I have started using VMware for stuff like that also. Another layer. By the time I add up all the security stuff, it almost pays for the VMware Workstation.

Pete

5. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Bufferzone is not compatible with FDISR. Always a BSOD at boot.
    Their support not much help either.

Why not use GesWall? The free version works very well.

6. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

although i do not use/have the first defense app, my experience with Buffer Zone is it is not compatible with Outpost Pro 4.0.x.x. my system crashed to the point of needing a reformat. went to Comodo firewall (regretfully...nice wall, but i really prefer Outpost) and Bufferzone and Comodo have co-existed nicely for abot 3-4 days now.

although First Defense could be a issue as well with Bufferzone, there is no question that (on my system) Outpost was the cause of severe compatibility issues. btw i am also running NOD 32 with no issues.

Mike

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am using Outpost Pro ver. 4.0.971.7030 (584), NOD32 and I am trialing BufferZone and no Crashes yet. They have co-existed for about 10 days now. I had Process Guard on the computer, but PG hasnt been updated in a while. DCS hasn't kept PG up to snuff, so I took it off the computer. Shame through, they were once a Top-rated outfit. :( I plan to replace PG with SSM

8. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for the information. It seems worth trying Bz again after I disable Outpost. I didn't know of GesWall KikiBibi so I've learnt.

Carver, I'm interested to know whether you run NOD with the default settings that are set at first install or whether you have tweaked it by using Blackspears settings.

Peter2150 - your thoughts are what I had in mind. My plan was to end up with a good broad spectrum scanner like NOD, FD-ISR for recovery/backup and to have Bufferzone as a sandbox/virtualization app in case anything did slip onto the system.

I must say that I've used FD-ISR a few times where it has allowed me to recover my system (such as when BZ created problems) and it's staying put on my system! :D

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have used BZ Home a couple of times with FDISR without any problems. BZ causes long booting time (adds up to a minute with BZ installed) in my machine, but I cant see that has anything to do with FDISR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.