BT Router - Openzone

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by FileShredder, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FileShredder

FileShredder Registered Member

My BT Home Hub is also an Openzone.

I recently changed the encryption on my wireless to WPA-PSK, but I noticed that an Openzone wireless signal was also broadcasting, and I realized it was from my own hub. As it's unsecured, I began to worry a bit. Bandwidth isn't really a problem, as I think I am on a (more or less) unlimited bandwidth package, but does this mean others can get into my router via the unsecured Openzone network, and then be able to break into my WPA network?

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

You should be safe from strangers just connecting randomly if you've enabled WPA-PSK. BT disabled the generic password for each Home Hub and replaced each with an individual password per hub. A stranger would need that password to connect to your broadband/wi-fi.

BT FON is a service of BT's that you might need to check that you haven't enabled. From what i can gather this service means you are agreeing to allow a percentage of your broadband to be used in a community wi-fi scheme. Anyone with a BT FON account could connect to your hub - if you've enabled this service.

To access BT Hub type 192.168.1.254 into IE.

(You might want to take a look at the link below, apparently BT enable this service without many people knowing it is active)

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/How-to-disable-the-stupid-BT-FON/td-p/12911

I just checked and mine is enabled ... I was unaware lol. I have recently (a month ago) been issued with a new router from BT and I didn't know the new routers are BT FON enabled by default. That's kinda cheeky. :eek:

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.