BSOD when installing 5.2 (ehdrv.sys)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Oswald2, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

Using ESS on Windows Home XP SP3 32-bit.
    I'm currently restoring from disk image.

I attempted to install 5.2 after using 5.0.95 for several months. I uninstalled 5.0.93 using control panel uninstaller. Removed all ESET directories (c:\Program Files\ESET, Application Data\ESET, etc) as directed in in the install instructions. Rebooted. Used Live Installer to attempt install. At first got several Windows crash messages each time I tried to start installation. Rebooted machine again. This time, Live Installer started, progressed all the way to 99% completion saying that it was installing drivers, and then got Blue Screen of Death saying that it was in model ehdrv.sys. Rebooted computer. ESET ESS reported that it was not started correctly, probably because of incomplete or corrupt installation. Attempted to remove ESS using uninstall, but uninstall reports that it can only install applications that are installed. o_O Used ESET Uninstaller tool under Safe Mode to remove ESS. Appeared to fully uninstall. Rebooted.

Found that there were no ESET directories, so proceeded to attempt to install 5.2 using Offline Installer. Again at same point, 99% progress got BSOD saying that the problem is in ehdrv.sys. Again, rebooted and found incomplete installation of ESET would not operate correctly or uninstall.

Restoring from yesterday's disk image.
    [Edit: Previous version actually 5.0.95.0 not 5.0.93.0]

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PM with further instructions sent.

3. sua428

sua428 Registered Member

Hello. I share Mr. Oswald2's issues with ESET, and my troubleshooting parallels his. Would you be willing to post those instructions?

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please compress the dump generated during BSOD (c:\windows\memory.dmp by default), upload it somewhere and PM me the download link? The OP resolved the issue by reverting to a restore point and then the installation went fine.

6. sua428

sua428 Registered Member

Thank you both for the prompt replies.
    siljaline: I have attempted both troubleshooting steps, but the BSOD consistently rears its ugly head at 99% completion of installation. Upon restart, it has the same symptoms of partial installation as Oswald2.
    Marcos: A link for the compressed .dmp file has been messaged to you.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.