BSOD on uninstall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by xxJackxx, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hesitate to start this thread because I cannot tell you how to reproduce it, there is no longer any evidence, and I do not know what I expect anyone to do about it. That said, it might be helpful to make sure someone is aware it is happening. I had ESS 6 on my Windows 8 laptop and about a week ago I decided to uninstall it to do some testing with another product (I do a lot of that). On uninstall I got a BSOD (I had forgot to set it to not reboot on BSOD so I did not get the error number) and it refused to boot again. It would start up to a black screen and that was it. Fortunately I had a backup I was able to restore. This is not something that happens to me every time obviously but it has happened to me more than once. It makes me hesitant to reinstall ESS because it feels like trouble waiting to happen.

Does ESET test uninstalls frequently? Should it be tested more to help identify this issue? I'm sure the main focus is in having it run well, but it shouldn't take Windows with it when it goes... At least I had a restoration plan and am not an angry user that lost everything they had. :ouch:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If BSOD occurs, a memory dump should be created. You can supply it to ESET for analysis and to confirm or deny that ESET was somehow involved in the crash.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You can't get a dump when the machine won't boot anymore. If it were possible I would have offered one but it didn't even try to boot. After post the screen just went black and that was the end of it. Had to restore a backup image. The BSOD occurred mid-uninstall and that was pretty much all there was. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.