BSOD during ShadowProtect trial

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rendez2k, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've just installed the trial to test and about halfway through the backup I get a BSOD (tried several times). I do have ATI 11 installed, FD-ISR and ESET Smart Security along with the release candidate of XP SP3. I have seen on the forum that ATi can cause BSOD - is this still the case and are there anyways round it?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe ATI still can cause issues, also you are going to have to ask at their forum about SP3.

Pete

3. rendez2k

Thanks Peter - have asked there and so far the response is to un-install ATI 11 (which is a shame as I wanted to test ShadowProtect before getting rid of ATI). And thank goodness for FD-ISR! While trying to remove ATI I ended up with an un-bootable windows!

4. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Rendez2k, when I switched from ATI to SP3 I used this way and never had BSOD:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    add/remove programs to uninstall True Image, then reboot, then:

To manually uninstall snapman.sys (as the True Image uninstaller often does not remove this driver, which will cause a BSOD if it is installed alongside ShadowProtect), follow these steps (in this order):

1. As an administrator, run regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Remove the snapman entry from the "UpperFilters" values. This will unregister the snapman.sys driver as a PnP filter for disk devices.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}. Remove the snapman entry from the "UpperFilters" values. This will unregister the snapman.sys driver as a PnP filter for logical volume devices.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\snapman and add a REG_DWORD value named DeleteFlag with a value 1 inside this snapman key. Next, change the Start REG_DWORD value inside the snapman key to 4 (disabled).

4. Reboot

5. After the reboot, snapman.sys will not be loaded, and its service key will be gone. You can now delete the snapman.sys file (may be located in windows\system32\drivers directory, or in an Acronis install directory).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is useful for you.

^Ale

PS: If you need it I have also the instructions for manual Acronis True Image uninstallation.

5. rendez2k

Thanks guys - think its all working now! But I have another question now - how on earth do you make the recovery CD? I assume its like ATI that makes a boot CD for you?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you downloaded just the "trial" version you can't. You have to request a full evaluation here. Ignore the warning in red. Then they will email you a link to download an ISO file. Burn that to disk, and that disk then is both the installer for the desktop, and the Recovery CD. They do it this way as they have to pay MS a royalty on every copy. It is win/vista pe based.

Pete

7. rendez2k

Thanks Peter - have put a request in for the CD.

8. rendez2k

I now notice that Acronis Disk Director is refusing to load so I assume the snapman.sys file I removed is also required by ADD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.