BSD?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thanks for all the good tips. If I want to keep my current Windows setup and simply create additional partition(s) on the same disk (2 X 80 Gb in RAID 0) and create a dual boot system, is this possible? Recommended?

2. IMM

IMM Spyware Fighter

One advantage/disadvantage of something like TNT runs (OpenBSD) is that you certainly know what you've got, and what's where, when you are done :D

3. TNT

TNT Registered Member

A hard work for sure, but a plus is that you can then use a wallpaper as cool as this one: http://www.bsdnexus.com/wallpapers/no_system_access.jpg :p

4. IMM

IMM Spyware Fighter

@TNT -- is it 3.8 or 3.9 or other?
    If it's one of the newer ones - are you using the trunking capabilities?

----- edit to add
    Only reason I ask - is that I'm thinking of doing something to watch traffic between a HW firewall (internet appliance) and a modem so that I can watch what is being blocked.
    What I had in mind was a passive half-tap arrangement as in http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/ but was thinking of avoiding the sun software (I haven't fully explored this corner of BSD yet tho')

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    PC-BSD is great.
    I'm writing this from within the VMWare PC-BSD Player.
    I have also installed the Crystal Dectoration - a la Vista Aero - and it looks fabulous. Have installed a number of applications, very simple and fast.
    Did encounter some problems though.
    Applications that are configured to run as scripts from Terminal through direct ip have trouble working through proxy - I have yet to edit the scripts and change these defaults. However, all in all, it looks nice.
    At home, I'll try to see how things work out using firewalls and home network. Very nice surprise.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

MAJOR EDIT:
    Oh man I so pleased with myself! I accessed the configuration files as root, changed the httpproxy name and port and it works! Bob's your uncle! Not the typical Windows stuff, but it sures gives pleasure... Go geeks go!

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  6. TNT

TNT Registered Member

3.7. In fact, I want to set up a new system soon, but I need the time. :'(
    No, I'm not using the trunk capabilities (3.7 doesn't have them, and I wouldn't be using them anyway). :p

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask, can u run BSD and linux on dual core?
    Also it will just run or will use the power of dual core as well?
    Anybody tried yet?
    Thanks!

8. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

yes its possible you can create additional partitions in your harddisk to install linux.you can install linux and keep your existing windows installation.i would advise to keep a backup of your current important windows setup incase anything goes wrong.suse and mandriva has excellent graphical installers.i would suggest you to first try out the live cds then go for your install if you like it.also do read(google) about installation\partitioning and checkout some screenshots too about the installation of the distro that you are going to install..mepis and knoppix live cds has an option to install the os to the hard disk if you like it.linux installs by default grub\lilo bootloader to the mbr where you get an option to boot into linux or your current windows setup..also you can install grub to first sector of boot partition and make boot floppies so that you can leave the mbr untouched and boot into linux using those floppies..also there are other advanced methods of installation to if you google.but i believe its better to install the bootloader to mbr itself..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.