Browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eDOC786, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hello Doc., I hope your well also.

At this point, you know more about KM than I do but I'll try to help.

1. I don't think installing multiple browsers would conflict at all but I haven't tried the autoloader.

2. For more info on the autoloader, see here. I would experiment with it as from what I understand it depends on your hardware specs and perhaps your background processes.

3. Normally you wouldn't need more than 2 browsers. Find something you like and works well with your system. On the other hand, you could start collecting them LOL.

5. I'm guessing you could just copy the bookmarks.html file from your profile. C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html. If not have a look here for an external app. to do the job.

There are a few people around here using KM. It's a very light and quick browser without all the fluff and that's what some folks like. It's not as easy to use as the others but then again I don't think it was designed for the masses.

I hope I was able to help and if I have posted anything incorrect, please let me know.

Regards

2. eDOC786

eDOC786 Registered Member

Hello innerpeace thanx for the links & replyin.

I have 2 questions:

1. What’s the difference between Preload & Extreme………I mean in terms of system utilization like CPU etc…..my default page is blank…………what functions can extreme settings of autoloader affect?

2. You can see I have checked all plug-ins to clear at shut down……does that mean exit of KM or shut down of my machine?

Thanks again & sorry to have bothered ya!

Attached Files:

3. eDOC786

eDOC786 Registered Member

Hi there,

I lose Spywareblaster enabled protection in FF 3.5 when I close it.

I have to manually run Spywareblaster each time, to get those blocked cookies?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Not everyone needs features either.

Since the day the Internet was born I've hardly ever used any features, maybe 2 or 3 and now I don't use any and I just use K-Meleon.

K-Meleon is FAST and LIGHT!

eDOC786 SpywareBlaster sucks it had it's days, just use SAS and MB, and scan with them manually from time to time...

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I totally disagree!
    You are comparing a preventive program (Spyware Blaster) with scanners.
    That's like comparing apples to oranges.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've used SpywareBlaster and it doesn't prevent much of anything. As nice as it seems you can still get in plenty of trouble with it. Again even though it's suppose to be a preventive program, well it just doesn't prevent as much as you think. I've found that using SAS and MB and scanning the system regularly was more benefical.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That all depends on what you expect from it. I know that it has a database of 12,538 items. Those are items that a scanner won't detect because Spyware Blaster prevents their installation with killbits.
    I prefer prevention myself. You have your preference, but that doesn't mean that Spyware Blaster "sucks."

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The thing is, if people know how to surf then Spywareblaster is just redundant.

The problem here is everyone is looking for the pill for the cure and there is none is there? So EDUCATION is the best prevention, not adding more bloat to the recipe...

SpywareBlaster is for newbies or people that don't care about education for real protection and safety...

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Doc, your no bother. I just wish I knew more about KM.

Have a look through these threads and see if one may help your SpywareBlaster problem.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=3017142

If the above threads don't help, you might ask in the SpywareBlaster forum here at Wilders.

Most of the info was in the link that I posted. I'm assuming that depending on the setting it may slow down your boot times a little. Also, it could have an impact on your system if you don't have enough memory.

The preload setting will only load KM's engine while the Extreme setting will "Preload Browser Engine, Precreate Window, Preload Start Page. This is only recommended if you use a simple, text based start page."

That's a good question. I have no idea and especially since your using the preloader :doubt:. It should not hurt anything to experiment a little.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

And, what exactly is that?

So, if there is no cure, then EDUCATION also isn't. It is a great start, but not the a shield against everything, now is it?

I wouldn't say that.

You say "SpywareBlaster is for newbies or that people who don't care about education for real protection and safety", and that it sucks.

OK. That's your opinion, but then why suggestion Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware? And, why do you use them, if you believe EDUCATION is the key and that if you know how to surf, you're just fine?

I don't quite follow that.

Now and then I check my system with those two you mentioned, but they never find anything, or when they do, are FPs.

May I say then, these two anti-malware applications suck? Not exactly, I just have "EDUCATION", and other preventive methods.

So, as you see, it only depends on who's using the applications, and why they need them in the first place.

Because, lets be honest. If "EDUCATION" was all that was needed, then no one would be using firewalls, anti-viruses, anti-spywares, anti-malwares, anti-anything, software restriction policies, etc.

One needs to find what works best for him/her, and to others, if those others have no idea about what they should, despite they're aware of the dangers.

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I too feel spyware blaster is redudant , if u have good antivirus and make continous backups.SAS and MBAM are also redundant for "normal" surfing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.