Browser Security: What's the best?? How is yours setup?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Milken, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milken

Milken Registered Member

Specifically, best configurable security? Best out the "box"? How is yours setup?

My vote goes to IE no matter how you slice it. Microsoft is synonmous with: The BEST!
    Nah, I have used IE, Netscape, and Opera. OPERA, it's not even close.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Milken,
    Primary browser is Opera, second is Firefox.
    Almost never use IE, only for updating and some online banking. :D
    So my vote goes to Opera. ;)

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

my vote would go to opera as well, FFX with Noscript extension is being good for me too lately

IE only for updating my OS or some bad designed webpages.

Online banking is possible with either FFX or Opera so if I could I would uninstall IE permanently.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Online banking isn't possible for my wife's bank, only IE can be used. :doubt:
    I'm with you for uninstalling IE permanently. :p

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I've been using IE from the off, but that's because it comes with windows of course.

I soon found out and learnt early on how to fully secure it as much as possible in many different ways. These changes made All the difference, with me being able to surf with total disregard anywhere i choose to.

That doesn't mean i waste my time going to you know where etc, but i have and to crack sites and exploit sites etc etc, just to see how it stands up. It hasn't ever let even one piece of crap into my PC, not once !

I have continually tested it in this configuration for several years, and still do, without applying all the MS updates, some but not all.

I have tried other netscape type browsers and also FF. I find that IE is just fine for me, and faster than FF. I have just DL'd Kmelon today as mentioned in another thread. So i'll install it at some point and give it a shot, as it's supposed to be lightening fast, and with no outstanding vulnerabilities.

StevieO

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    The best browser is IE 5.5 with AskJeeves toolbar.
    Not.
    Nothing beats FF. Out of the box, Opera and FF are similar. But my heart goes to FF, both since I used it since 0.x and long before Opera. Plus with 700+ extensions, it is superbly customizable. But on the point of security, noscript, adblock, referer, agentswitcher, permit cookies, customize google etc, nothing can even remotely compare. Plus it has a safe mode. Superb.
    Mrk

7. sytshstgdhh

sytshstgdhh Guest

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
    Enjoy

8. 15627384

15627384 Guest

Blocked complete access to ie(blocked connection, activehex ect), used firefox, secondary browser opera, other browser is lynx, i use alot of stuff / adaware, spybot s&d, spywareblaster, ms antispy, hijackthis, cwshredder, ect, also used bugoff program, and a few others that fill holes in ie, use ccleaner, and diskcleaner for temp cleanup, also use my brains. never open emails i dont know who.. i use webmail, so. eh.and download from trusted sources, i hope someone fines source out of this post.

9. 15627384

15627384 Guest

i also use an k-meleon (as an alternative browser) as of now.

10. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Opera 8.51 for me.

As for how it's set up - pretty much out of the box. No extensions required as Opera comes with most everything you could hope for.

If you're worried about ads, I'd suggest the brilliant Ad Muncher which works with all browsers.

11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

so you pay for IE (windows) then you have to pay again to remove it :D

thanx I knew the program but I don't like to pay for it :rolleyes: nah I'll wait for vista hopefully IE7 will be better ;)

the only good thing with IE is that it uses less resources on my machine then opera and ffx.

12. MikeyB

MikeyB Guest

I changed from IE6 to FFX about a year ago and OMG what a difference! I only use IE for MS updates now. I really, genuinely can't understand why knowledgeable people persevere with IE. A quixotic gesture perhaps? I've never got as far as trying Opera because FFX is just so damned good. I use NoScript. I also use Proxomitron (with Kye-U's filters) and Sandboxie, just in case.

13. Milken

Milken Registered Member

What about settings, do you allow Java, Java Script, etc. I recently enabled Java, but may only enable it when needed(e-mail).
    In OPERA 8.51: What does "Identify browser as" do? TOOLS PREF ADV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.