Browser: Sandboxed or not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by emperordarius, Jun 19, 2008.

?

Do you run your browser Sandboxed or not?

1. Yes, always

70 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Yes, often

29 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Yes, sometimes

28 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Yes, rarely

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. No, never

71 vote(s)
    32.7%
  6. What's a sandbox?

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Opera with sandboxie here 99.9% of the time.

2. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Would anyone here be surprised that wearing a bulletproof vest does not stop people from shooting you?

SandboxIE here; 100% of the time.

3. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Would you you know if you got hacked through your browser? I bet you wouldn't.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Running FF/Noscript via Sandboxie whilst in Returnil mode inside a virtual machine.

Now that's paranoia for ya!:D

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

When browsing general safe sites and I want to update extensions normal. When browsing other stuff sandboxed.

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Good grief, Franklin! You must surf in the darkest regions of the universe!

Quick question: I've got Sandboxie. But I'm struggling trying to decide whether to try Returnil (to supplement, not replace, Sandboxie). Do you have a favorite of the two...and why?

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If I could only use one then it would definately be Sandboxie as it can be configured to stop all outbounds except for certain apps and also no other app can run except apps which are allowed.

When testing malware or apps you can have a look around in the sandbox to see what and where they install data.

Both are excellent apps with good support and they work fine together on my Vista/XP installs.

8. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I appreciate your comments and agree with your lean and mean approach.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

SandboxIE starts up with my windows and i use it On-Demand Only if testing a piece of malware or a drive-by site, other then that, plain jane=UnSandboxed mostly.

SandboxIE is really come of age and is real different security.

I like it.

EASTER

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I changed, Returnil has replaced SandboxIE. Same thing accomplished, if malware invades my home, I reboot and it finds itself out on the front lawn with a sore behind.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But there is a big difference between Returnil and Sandboxie.
    Returnil only REMOVES malware from your HDD, while Sandboxie STOPS malware from executing and REMOVES also the malware after cleaning the sandbox, but only for sandboxed applications of course.
    Sandboxie also protects your other partitions, while surfing on the internet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's very true, I guess I just feel safe enough with a good AV, Noscript and the like. I also don't keep personal information on the computer, nor do I do online banking. It's probably not the best way to think, but I just figure there's not too much damage they can cause me.

13. ErikAlbert

OK. With a good AV and Returnil, you can survive. LOL.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Awesome! Lol :) I still from time to time can't shake my old ways. KIS2009 looks awful interesting, what with ad-blocking, Hips, firewall, AV and everything else it has, but regardless if I'm willing to spend time working with the popups and configurations, the rest of the household is not. They've honestly gotten upset when my last firewall asked about an AV needing to call out (before I had set it to auto-allow it an outbound connection). That's why it's such a pain in the ass to be "totally secure" and why I've tried to find the most simple, idiot proof balance I can.

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Interesting how we all see and experience things so differently. I long since stopped using AV,AS,HIPS. FF3 and NoScript behind a harware firewall is enough for me. Oh yes and I do keep personal info and use on line banking, pay by credit card and other naughty things. I must admit though I do turn Returnil on when I go to the dark side like Paypal or Amazon. Returnil, DepFreeze, Shadow Defender are used mainly to protect my machines from me and the mistakes I make. Sandboxie I could never get to like and as I have never seen anything that it would protect me from it just seemed unnecessary.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Sandboxie when I use it is great for nothing more (so far) than doing my temp file/history cleaning for me. I don't know, I'm up in the air about it. So far nothing has really happened to me when just using Avast and Noscript/AdBlock Plus. I have come across viruses, but they've either been on webpages which Avast flagged and kept from getting me, or in .Zip files when P2P, and then I simply open up with IZArc, find the offending file, delete it, re-scan, and then perfectly fine.

17. ErikAlbert

That's because your setup is directly based on your surfing habits and what you do on your computer.
    If I visit only Wilders and my bank website, I don't need any security at all.
    No firewall, because I have a router.
    No AE or DW, because I won't get infected, because I visit only 2 safe websites.
    No FF, just IE, because any browser will be good enough to visit 2 safe websites.
    You can't recommend your security setup to anyone, because that person is different from you.
    Although my recovery is OK, my security is still not OK and that means I can't go wild on the internet and most probably, I will never be able to go wild, not with all these sophisticated threats of today and the future.

18. Long View

and what else could it be based upon ? There would be little point me basing my set up upon the habits of someone else.

I don't recommend my set up to anyone. As you say other people have different surfing habits. I do ask people to question whether or not they really need all the security that they have loaded and to question the assumption that they are clean because of their security when there may be no connection.

sandboxie can only protect if attacked. I'm not convinced that the threats are anything like as great as is so often imagined. you mileage may, of course, vary.

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yes : often
    Have a shortcut to 'default box' and use Eraser.
    Sandboxie: a truly great app. :thumb:

20. ErikAlbert

I'm looking for a combination of recovery and security, no matter who is behind the keyboard.

21. Long View

Erik - you really are an Optimist. That day will only come when a machine is both behind and in front of the keyboard. So long as the user is human no combination of recovery and security is foolproof. Now aren't you glad that things are not as bad as many make out ? - because if they were none of the current solutions would provide sufficient protection.

22. ErikAlbert

When I started to create my recovery solution, I also had doubts to get that far, especially with ISR.
    I probably won't reach the same level with security as recovery, but maybe I can get very close. I'm also waiting for new security softwares, based on new ideas.
    Unfortunately the security industry keeps on re-inventing the existing wheels, so I have to be more patient.
    It's never the software itself that interests me, it's the combination of several things, which aren't always related to software that can lead to a good solution.

23. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, MS just uses a term, which is more understandable, unlike sandbox. ;)
    I use protected mode all the time in both version x32 and x64. It gets disabled only, when I require admin access to install activex. :rolleyes:

24. Someone

Someone Registered Member

No browser is 100% secure. There will always be exploits, etc.

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I use Sandboxie free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.