Browser recommendation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FluxGFX, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

What would be the current browser to have? ( no Internet Explorer pls ) god that thing is annoying :rolleyes:

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

FluxGFX,

I have used Opera for some time now and love it... I have tried other browsers but always end up prefering Opera. The free version does have an ad window but if you decide you like it and keep it you can purchase it if you wish to get rid of the ad window.

you can check it out here:
    http://www.opera.com/

There is also a forum dedicated to Opera and you can find it here:
    http://my.opera.com/forums/

If you interested in beta testing the new Opera 7.20, you can find info at the forums.

Regards,
    kent

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I echo that. I am considering buying the Opera package for Windows and Linux once 7.20 reaches the final stage.

Regards,

Pieter

4. FluxGFX

Thx guys, I am also using opera ;)

But wanted to get a view on what people actually thought about it ;)

5. FluxGFX

My next question is regarding ADS and Pop-Ups... what should I do in Opera...... for IE there's Adshield and AdSubtract..... has for opera ?

6. Pieter_Arntz

In Opera click File > Preferences > Windows under Pop-ups are a couple of choices to control pop-ups.

On the subject of ads have a look here: http://www.schrode.net/opera/url_filtering/

Regards,

Pieter

7. FluxGFX

Interesting, currently testing the filter and its working like a charm, talk about being flexible ;)

8. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Opera also has excellent cookie handling. You can access it thru File>Preferences>Privacy.

Regards,
    Kent

9. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

10. FluxGFX

Whats the website for a list of stuff to block in adshield?

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi FluxGFX,

I use the AGNIS list. Keep an eye out for these updates: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12449
    (links included)

Regards,

Pieter

12. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Right now I'm tempted to move from Opera to Mozilla/Firebird. These browsers feel even faster than Opera (I'm on 7.11) and big plus is that sites that don't like Opera are shown correcty in Mozilla/Firebird.

I suppose that my Opera Java and other script and security settings are wrong, but I don't like fiddling around with these, especially where the Mozilla and Firebird default settings are fine.

13. FluxGFX

Well I can say this about Mozilla and Firebird, they will have trouble displaying pages on Windows webservers using asp, vbscript and others since these other browsers dont actually support the technologies....

Has opose to opera, I've never encouterd a site that I had trouble with, since Ive been using it for about 1year now....

14. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

My experience with Opera + speed chart comparison:

I started testing Opera yesterday.

So far so good with Opera. Overall I would have to say Opera is a keeper.

I'm using the filter.ini approach to Ads (very effective - Thanks Pieter!)

Banner Ad a little obtrusive for the free version, but I guess that's the price of admission for Opera (free version). Anyway tweaking the filter.ini should quiet the display of Ads to only 1 static ad for buy Opera.

re: Speed of Browser seems a step slower to me vs. IE
    see below link & summary chart.

re: Security

+ seems much better than IE overall, I speculate that if the target were Opera vs. IE that we might see more holes exposed in Opera.

found out the hard way Opera is susceptible to force Iframe (malware.com exploit example) at least with my current configuration. Locked my pc up o_O but no multiple popup windows. ;)

+ Does not look like Opera addresses issue of web bugs, but I could be wrong or this may not be an issue with Opera.

+ Have seen no unwanted popups and cookie handling is good. Effect here is you no longer need software like Adshield or cookie wall.

re: resource use - very light on resources

speed comparison (Last update: 2/19/2003). Obviously dated but provides relative performance at the point in time referrenced (no guarantee as to the accuracy of test though a few of the items tested appear to skew the results):

link to chart:

http://security.greymagic.com/dagon/results.html

sum in milliseconds for the 4 browser comparison:

IE 5.5 = 4121

Mozilla 1.3b = 10860

Opera 7.01 = 61222

Flash 6 = 24155

Attached Files:

15. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

I just ran the malware test again with page style inline frames disabled and the malware test failed so this is good.

Guess I'll keep a running list here of the things I find while testing. Short list so far:

1) while Java Script is enabled Opera 7.11 fails On-Unload test here:

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/javascript-onunload.asp

at least 3 ways to defeat this test:

a) under preferences > privacy > "uncheck" - enable automatic redirection.

or

b) guess you can run it with Java script disabled at sites you don't trust F12 then press J to toggle on & off.

c) proxo - with good filters :)

2) running the latest stable version 7.11 on old win9x platform seems to suck down GDI resources unless you turn off memory & disk cache

16. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi Flux,

I am currently useing Mozilla 1.4 and like very much it is flexible and has a good cookie handler as well as a pop up
    suppresor. I have also heard that The Opera browser is very good allthough I have not used it. Mozilla 1.4 loads fast and is easy to use and is fully customizable.

It also uses a a new editing system for quick config of
    cache. The draw back I found with Mozilla was that it has a resource leak :( but is fixxable by altering memory cache to a lower setting in the config. That is the only down side to this browser that I have found so far.. Just my 2 cents.
    http://www.mozilla.org/

Regards,
    FireDancer ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.