Browser Page Settings - can't change baddie

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dusandj, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusandj

dusandj Registered Member

I've had some problems with ad/spyware the last couple of days, including (I believe) my IE 6 browser being hijacked. I couldn't get it to stop going to <?.findthewebsiteyouneed.com> as my home page. That problem seems to be gone, but I'm scared it will reappear -- probably as soon as I reboot -- especially given the following:

After running SpywareBlaster, I checked the Browser Page Settings under Tools, and found there the (formerly?) incriminating page <http://searchbar.findthewebsiteyouneed.com>, which it describes as "a SearchAssistant-related item for the Current User: Default_Search_URL." When I try to change it (to nothing, or to about:blank, or to any other URL), nothing happens -- the site's still there under the list of IE browser pages.

Also: when I try to tell IE to make the URL a "restricted zone" site (by going to Tools-->Internet Options-->Security), I'm told that it already exists in another zone, and to remove it from there first. But I don't see it listed under any other zone.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps it is already listed in the Restricted Zone given the fact it is a site contained in Spywareblasters database and other like programs database....IE-Spyad, Spybot....etc.

3. dusandj

dusandj Registered Member

Ahh, you're right. Thanks.

Should I still worry that Spywareblaster calls it a "SearchAssistant-related item for the Current User: Default_Search_URL" and won't let me change it?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There should not be a problem when attempting to change any of those items but given the fact you probably have been HighJacked in regards to your browser I suggest you consider visiting the below link and let those folks have a go at cleaning up your system.

This link---> Q: Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance (#13616)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.