Browser in Active Mode Can Stop Pages Loading

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by Jenee, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I recently installed a new modem/router and tried both Firefox and chrome to access the modem setup via a webpage but after entering user name and password could only get a blank page in Chrome and in Firefox, all it had was Content-Length: 403 . I don't normally use IE but tried it and it worked. As I don't normally use IE, I checked in ESS to see if it was ticked in Active Mode. It wasn't so I ticked it. When I later tried to access the modem webpage in IE, all I got was Content-Length: 403. I then tested all the web browsers and with Active Mode unticked, I could access the modem webpage but with Active Mode ticked, there is only the Content-Length: 403 message.
    Does anyone know why this would happen. I have never been blocked from a web page before so don't know if this could affect other web pages and the internet was working ok even though I couldn't access the modem. I am leaving Active Mode ticked but just untick it if I need to access the modem.
    I did initially search the web for info on Content-Length: 403 and found it is a common problem so I am not sure if others are using ESS or it is an issue with some firewalls.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Read the explanation here in the quotes:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1363104&postcount=2

It seems Active mode is not suitable for the modem cfg page . I'd recommend you generally use passive mode . If you insist on using Active mode , you exclude the page/address of the modem setup so that it is not scanned by the web-access protection . Don't worry , excluding it will pose no security risk for your machine.

3. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Thanks very much for the response. I must have missed that thread. I now understand the difference.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.