Browser Defender anyone?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

I noticed 2 "FP" ... o_O

Attached Files:

• fp.JPG
      fp.JPG
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Although it rates sites using a database it also scans for malicious scripts in real-time using ThreatExpert,therefore your re-direction exploit would be covered against.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it sounds good:thumb: does it use the spyware doctor with antivirus database?thanks

4. andyman35

From my understanding it uses the AV/AM when performing a full audit of a site and the downloads and other content on it.This determines the overall rating for the site.The ThreatExpert component then acts in real time to detect if that 'good' site has been hijacked in any way.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very nice;) thanks for info

6. andyman35

You're welcome:D
    Remember this is still in beta at the moment so it'll be interesting to see how the final version performs.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

l see:)

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Had to uninstall it.Security code i enterd for some sites would not work

9. progress

progress Guest

The same here! :thumbd: Bye bye Browser Defender ...

10. andyman35

You can turn the protection off temporarily if need be.Just click the arrow to the right of the green bar and turn it off in the drop-down menu.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Browser Defender says www(dot)iedefender(dot)com is safe.

http://www.browserdefender.com/site/iedefender.com/

Again, LinkScanner clearly says is not. The proper warning.

http://linkscanner.explabs.com/link...apps.ExpLabs.com&CS=http://www.iedefender.com

It is known that no tool is 100% perfect, but, the domain I checked is more than known to be malicious... So, why does Browser Defender report it safe?

Norton Safe Web also rates it safe... But, it tends to rate a lot domains selling rogue antiviruses, etc as safe...

12. andyman35

Unless the site itself contains a malicious exploit it's extremely difficult for any automated rating system to accurately warn of rogue AMs.To all intents and purposes they are exactly the same as any legitimate security application,it requires some form of manual cross referencing to determine they're bad.:doubt:

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well if u read the browserdefender site for the rating on that site it says clearly "NO DOWNLOAD TESTING RESULTS, WE HAVE NOT YET TESTED ANY DOWNLOADS FOR THIS SITE"

thats why its being marked green, the site hasnt been FULLY tested by them yet. but it does give some info on the site itself, which is clean, that is why it gives a green rating. give it some time until the site has been tested, then u will see the proper rating, its better to look at the details of what the shield says before just going to a site with a green shield beside it.

14. progress

progress Guest

I think Browser Defender is a very poor one, there should be better alternatives :rolleyes:

15. gery

gery Registered Member

yes it is very poor

16. m00nbl00d

The problem, as I said, is that, it is a well known malicious domain, since last December.

It would be expected to be rated red. I would understand a green rating, if it was a relatively new domain. Not the case, however.

So far, in random checks I do, it is the second malicious domain, pointing to rogues, that Browser Defender rates green. I've shown one previously.

17. m00nbl00d

MyWOT rates it red. It would alert users better than Browser Defender would.

But, again, as I said, no tool is 100% accurate... So, why not use a few? :rolleyes:

18. progress

progress Guest

Because of this:

:mad:

I tried many tools, but I think LinkScanner is the best one ...

19. andyman35

Browser Defender is still in beta so judgement should be reserved until it's finalised,the site database should be much larger then.In terms of functionality it offers far more than any static rating system.These rogue sites require manual verification simply because the site itself contains no active malware,this is why this stuff is so popular with the scammers.Most new rogues now won't be flagged up by any heuristics because they don't differ in structure from any legitimate security app,the only way these get detected are by signatures.

The people behind these are very clever in that rather than trying to outwit security defences they often work with them now,relying upon the user to do all the work for them.

20. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

If I click on the link iedefender, my IE7 does not give me this site, because it is in the zone: 'Restricted Sites' ( IE Tools/IE Options/Security/Restricted Sites ).

Thanks, IE7 defense!

21. andyman35

Athough the rating of that site is 'safe' according to the link as shown when I typed in the address directly earlier there was a warning of "potentially malicious content detected on the site "It seems that perhaps there's a delay in updating prior ratings at this beta stage.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  22. m00nbl00d

Some news.

For what I was told, PC Tools, as of now, has no idea whether or not they will keep it as a standalone tool, when it comes out of beta. Most likely, it will cease to exist.

Regards

23. andyman35

So the Symantec squeeze on freebies is starting it seems.:doubt:

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I don't think that's the case - it's supposed to already be a part of PC Tools suite, and that was BEFORE Symantec acquired.

25. m00nbl00d

No big loss... for users, that is. There's the free AVG LinkScanner. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.