Broken Task Scheduler and Paragon Exact-Image

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Usual Suspect, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hello Usual Suspect

Were you in on the discussion wherein I had a similar problem of my task scheduler not starting. That's right, had, as in past tense!. I owe a debt of thanks to Global Force because his comments in that thread, and another got me thinking in the right direction.

In my case the problem was a setting in WWDC, (Windows Worm Door Closer...or something like that). Iff you are running that program and iff you disable DCOM then you are presented with two options to eliminate the DCOM vulnerability. One of the choices effects task scheduler.

I have never like the Task Scheduler, but sometimes its a necessary evil.

BTW, I got the exact same error message, the error 87 one...

This might interest you. If you don't have port 135 listening when you do a
    run, cmd, netstat -noa, then probably this is related to the reason why the Task Scheduler is not working.

I guess the big question is do you use WWDC, or have otherwise locked down DCOM, and/or port 135?

Hope that helps,

-HandsOff!

2. yeah... and not just WWDC, the previous installation had had all... ALL grc.com utilities run on it AFTER SP1a, not to mention bout 5 different windows utility suites, each with it's own 'tweaking' component, and God knows how many Antispyware apps clamoring for attention inside C:\program files, but with no start menu presence... good riddance to all that!

I now have XPSP1a + Neowin.net's Autopatcher and it's tweaks *sweet* !

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It is a little hard to keep track of all the applications and what they are doing. For instance, who knows how many different applications that I have that block scripts. If I want to run one, it's anyones guess if I will be able to.

Neowin's autopatcher? That sounds interesting. does it actually manage xp update patches, or does it just manage settings? I've just about gotten to the point where I think many of microsofts patches cause more harm than good. If it doesn't work, I want it removed, not have a bandaid put on it. anyway, I guess I should take a look at Neowin and find out.

- HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.