Bringing U2F to the Masses

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

These security "dongles" are nothing new. I've seen them for years. Access cards that you insert in card readers are commonly used to do the same thing.

The problem with these are the fact most users are not aware of, or just don't practice or care about "physical security". So, just like the list of passwords written down on a piece of paper "hidden" :rolleyes: under the keyboard, or filed on an index card in a recipe box next to the monitor, such a physical device serves no purpose unless it is properly secured too. I can't tell you how many times I have gone on trouble calls to businesses or client's homes and found similar "dongles" or access cards and/or lists of passwords (and backup drives) all within arm's reach of the computer chair.

If a bad guy breaks into your home or place of work, they are going to look in the desk drawer, under the keyboard, on the shelf or desktop for these devices too. Then what good are they?

A much better approach for two-factor authentication (2-FA), IMO, would be bio-metrics (finger print, retinal scan, facial recognition). Or an implanted RFID chip!

3. Rasheed187

Yes, bio-metric authentication would be cool, and they are already working on this, but I think both U2F and UAF are cool. But the new thing about all of this, is that it's implemented in the Intel CPU's, so this means that you don't even need to use a USB key, but the PC device itself will do the authenticating.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...gy/identity-protection/one-time-password.html
    https://fidoalliance.org/specifications/overview/
    https://csdashlane.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207051919

4. Bill_Bright

They are more than working on it. Biometrics have been used for years. Add-on fingerprint readers are readily available and notebooks from HP, ASUS and Lenova, among others, with built-in fingerprint readers have been out for several years too.

5. Rasheed187

6. Bill_Bright

Yeah, that will be good and I am glad to see the industry is starting to settle on standards. I don't want to see a bunch of proprietary applications out there. That is never good for consumers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.