Breaking up archives into sized "chunks"?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the wisdom (or not) of setting a size limit of archive "chunks" or "pieces" when backing up my system's three hard drives.

I have had Backup and Recovery 11 Home for some 15 months (having used older versions for some years before), and I have liked the way it works with an external USB hard drive being used as the archive "destination" drive. For some reason (perhaps an early setting I made, or a default setting), the archives were originally broken up into 4 GB "chunks." That seemed to work fine. However, I changed that setting recently (I don't know why - to experiment?) when I got a new external USB hard drive so that the archives are now built up into one large archive for each of my PC's three hard drives. The total combined size of all three archives is around 80 GB.

Is it better to limit the archive "piece" size to something like 4 GB, or is it simpler and more fool-proof to let the archive for each drive build up in one file?

Thanks for any help here!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The image must be split in 4 GB segments is you use FAT32 partitions, or if you want to copy the image to DVDs (bad practice).

Otherwise, it is not necessary to split the image. But, according to my experience, no problem will arise if you do.

3. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Hi Robin, thank you for that! I checked my Western Digital USB External hard drive - it is not FAT 32 but NTFS, so I won't have to split the archive developed for each of my three hard drives.

I appreciate your informative answer. Blessings TO and THROUGH you.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.