Breaches galore as Cryptome hacked to infect visitors with malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/business/new...me-hacked-to-infect-visitors-with-malware.ars

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

More proof that "safe browsing" and "common sense" won't do jack for a user. Another (at least somewhat) safe website spewing malware.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not really. 99.99% of the time you've got absolutely nothing to worry about if you're fully patched, which falls under common sense, alongside declining any download a server might suddenly shovel to you without asking.

4. Hungry Man

99.99%? Sounds legit.

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Always concerned about that .01% though. I visited an online photo site and if it wasn't for my security setup I would have been hosed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well, how often do you hear about 0-day brand new unpatched vulnerabilities being used? Now, how often do you hear about month old patched vulnerabilities being used?

7. Hungry Man

I definitely hear about 0days once in a while (A flash/java one pops up once in a while and they'll even get exploited), not all that rare at all. Patched vulns get used more often, but a lot of the times it's recently patched, ie: just a few days old (this has happened a lot with java, exploits that are out within the week.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.